Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 CL450 which has not been run since mid 80s. With rear wheel on stand, clutch disengaged at handlebar lever, and in gear. If I start to turn the rear wheel it will force the handlebar clutch lever to the fully disengaged position. You cannot hold the lever in the disengaged condition. Any suggestions on what maybe the problem, before I start taking the clutch apart. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Is the drive chain catching on the arm of the clutch mechanism under the front sprocket cover?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont believe so, but I will check. When in neutral, the chain spins freely inside the cover.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
It could also be the shift drum roller (the "pizza cutter") being misaligned, a common failure, or the shift shaft lever being slightly bent on the detent clasp from hard shifting in the past. Probably why the bike was parked. But I agree with Roo, you should check that lever first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have to split cases to get to the shift drum roller or is it inside the clutch cover on right side? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's under the clutch cover, starboard side. Not sure why it would matter if it's in gear; not sure what could force the clutch cable from the inside of the transmission or clutch; just the lever by the front sprocket hitting the chain makes sense to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the clutch actuator hitting chain, adjusted wrong. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts