Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project is almost done so I can sell it. I bought a 1975 CL 360 that was badly neglected last September. I took it down to the frame and have put it back together and it looks good. I bought a set of vapor blasted carbs (Keihin 745b) off ebay and installed Common Motor Collectives rebuild kits in them. The bike starts great, but the idle is about 3000 rpm. If i twist the throttle forcibly closed, the idle drops to about 1500. I adjusted the floats according to CMC videos. When i adjust the mixture srew it doesnt seem to make much difference i have adjusted the throttle cables to my advantage, but i am stumped. Valves are set, timing is spot on. What am i missing? I am running new factory air cleaners and Emgo straight muffler on stock headers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I have loosened the pull side and tighted the return to a rediculous degree, trying to make the return force the throttle closed as much as possible. I think the mechanics of me forcing the throttle just a smidgen more closed is solving something the act is masking. (Did that make sense?). I will look at it again though.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
when it's at high idle try and see if the idle screw is making contact with its stop, or if there's a gap and it's being pulled open a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks doodle. If you mean the cable type idle adjuster screw, i have it backed all the out until it is no longer touching the spot it could contact. Is that what you meant or did i misunderstand?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That's it. In that case, maybe you have a vacuum leak.
Your exhaust collars on tight?
Check the carb area too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks, i appreciate all the suggestions. I got frustrated, so i buttoned it all back together. I may try and find a local guy that can help me out. If not, i may be selling a Mechanically restored Honda with a fast idle problem. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts