Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the help this site has given me, trying to fix my headlight I took off the gas tank and fuel lines to inspect hand control wiring. When I put the tank back on and filled it up with gas today the right carb is having problems. The bike is bogging down and there is only a tiny amount of fuel when I drain the right carb. It does not make a difference on reserve or when I leave fuel cap open. Hoping for some troubleshooting ideas. I recently cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and the bike was running fine before I took the tank off a couple days ago.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My three guesses would be, in this order:
- Float needle is sticking
- There's a blockage in the petcock or fuel line
- Float height needs to be adjusted

What shape is the tank in? If it's a little crusty inside, you may have loosened some rust flakes and clogged the filter screen in your petcock or the fuel line (or even gotten a bit of grit stuck in the float needle).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the petcock, I cleaned it out. The tank is in surprisingly good condition, looked like old gummed up gas in the petcock must have made it worse by draining the tank before removing. Bike is up and running again, although the left pipe is significantly hotter than the right. The right is getting hot but just not burn your skin immediately hot. Maybe a gas or carb sync issue? I just did points valve clearances and cam chain tension. Looks like I am firing perfectly when I test with a light.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’d look to carb sync first - if both sides are sparking as expected, reset the idle screws and dial em in, then do a vacuum sync on the carbs. Personally, as a measure of confidence, I move the sync to favor the side that isn’t firing first, then pull the spark lead off the formerly good side and see if it keeps running. That’ll let you know that the sync is what was preventing it from firing right in the first place. Of course, then you’ll want to balance them :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts