Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My bike starts and runs great, but once the bike heats up, my 7a fuses blow. My headlight goes first as soon as I sit on the bike and put it in gear.

I suspect that there is a short somewhere, but I've gone through the handlebar connections, and checked in the headlight bucket and everything seems to be clean and connected. I've also gone through the wire diagram to see where the 7a wires lead, and I haven't found anything out of the ordinary.

Any ideas as to where the short could be? Or is there a bigger problem that I'm over looking?

I'd also like to add that if I ride the bike for a while at higher rpms, the 15a fuse will also blow. The main fuse doesn't blow as easily as the 7a, but it still will blow.

Like I said, I've insulated the handlebar connectors, and I've checked all connections to major grounding areas and I haven't found anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I got tired of looking for glass fuses, now I just cut the fuse holder out and wire in a blade-type fuse holder. You can even get a small circuit breaker that will fit where that blade fuse plugs in.

·
Super Moderator
5,462 Posts
With Steve on that, wrong type fuses. Someone needs to make a plug in fuse box for the 360s that accepts blade fuses since it has 3 of them...

For those that search this later, SAE fuses are a different length than metric fuses, they do not contact enough of the holders on either end which causes the resistance to go up which causes more current to flow through the fuse than it is rated for. Fuses are basically resistors, little bit of time and heat and POP. This can be remedied by modding the holders to ensure they contact ALL of the metal part of the fuse. Or buy the right ones.

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
Franz,

I gotta laugh as well.....I had already sent Matt a PM to that effect by the time you posted your subtle hint to him.....

·
Registered
729 Posts
My bike starts and runs great, but once the bike heats up, my 7a fuses blow. My headlight goes first as soon as I sit on the bike and put it in gear.

is this a big clue maybe.....he says even a 15a fuse blows.........

maybe measure amps to see load and go from there.........check check check wiring.......before the bike bursts into flames!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I like the "I THINK IT MIGHT HAVE A SHORT"

Of course it does that whats makes fues blow 99.9% of the time.

My suggestion is to get a good wiring diagram for that model.
Print it as an oversized page (office supply stores are great for this, I have a 18x24 print of the wiring for my 350) it makes tracing the lines SOOO... Much easier.

Then trace those circuits.
It is an interesting comment the "HEADLIGHT GOES AS SOON AS I SIT ON IT". -
Where does the harness take a BEND that could cause a break in wires and short?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I like the "I THINK IT MIGHT HAVE A SHORT"

Of course it does that what makes fuses blow 99.9% of the time.

My suggestion is to get a good wiring diagram for that model.
Print it as an oversized page (office supply stores are great for this, I have a 18x24 print of the wiring for my 350) it makes tracing the lines SOOO... Much easier.

Then trace those circuits.
It is an interesting comment the "HEADLIGHT GOES AS SOON AS I SIT ON IT". -
Where does the harness take a BEND that could cause a break in wires and short?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
" My headlight goes first as soon as I sit on the bike and put it in gear.", sounds like you might want to check out the tail light wiring under the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts