Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished up getting the CL inspection legal, i.e. turn signals, headlight, front and rear break sensors, and horn. After, getting all this done today, however, and taking her out for a spin the bike totally killed around 3 miles in. Kick starter worked just fine so I immediately figured it was battery issues.

The upgrades have come in spurts and after each one I've run the bike in between for trips here to there, work, friends place, etc. Turn signals and headlight have been on for over a month so no way in hell those are at issue. Front and rear brake sensors have been in for over a week so if there was a drain on that end it would have not started at all today. That leaves us with the horn; just installed today and conveniently the bike killed shortly thereafter.

Leaving the whole shebang plugged in tonight to see if the voltage drops below the 10.66 I got before putting her in the shed. If the voltage is the same then charging system is at issue and I'll finally get around to putting in that new regulator/rectifier combo, but if the the voltage is lower I am highly suspecting the horn- the old horn was plugged in this whole time but broken so I suspect no leakage would not have occurred then.

Basically just want to double check and see if my methodology seems kosher and see if you guys have any input to add. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
10.66v sounds quite low for battery voltage to begin with, charging doesn't begin until 3000 RPM so if you warmed up your bike well before taking off it may have dropped further. I'd begin with a fully charged battery and take it out for the same ride. If you suspect any of your new electrical parts to be the issue, disconnect them one at a time only and ride a few miles without them, process of elimination and a great excuse to put on a few miles.

Alternatively, you could connect a voltmeter across your battery terminals, start the engine and monitor charging voltage vs engine RPM, if you're about to upgrade your reg/rect these readings will be useful to compare to the same readings after the upgrade.

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: This morning I checked the voltage and the battery recovered to 11.5, so if there a leak in the system that would not be the case. As of right now the charging system is the #1 item in my crosshair, so order a new regulator/rectifier combo and am going to be modding the stater so it is at full power all the time. Update again once the item comes in the mail!.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Voltage is still to low, charge battery then recheck charging system with engine running and full electrical load (everything electrical turned on).It should be over 13 volts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts