Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the OEM wiring harness on a 350 was 16 gauge?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Sounds about right, likely thinner than that where ever they can get away with it, anything to save a penny(or a yen).

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Actually, the Japanese have their own JIS wire standards. GA is a SAE standard. !6 GA is slightly larger than the stock Honda wiring. I used 14 GA to make a new harness for my 450 and regret it. The harness works great, my lights are as bright as a new bike and the charging system is better than new. If I was to do it again, I would use 14 for the power (Black, Black with White Stripe, Red, Green) 16 GA for the headlight (White and Lt Blue) and then 18 GA for tail and turn signal and use LED bulbs. The reason for not liking the 14 GA is the harness came out quite a bit larger in diameter than the stock harness. This was a problem around the steering head and inside the headlight.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I’m also planning to do a new harness for my 450 project. I’ve tested and cleaned the old one and it seems to be ok, but we all know how sensitive the electrics are and it just doesn’t feel right to use the old one.
As often on this site this is excellent information and I like the idea to perhaps use different diameters to optimize the harness. I’ll keep that in mind when deciding on lighting and signals.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I’m also planning to do a new harness for my 450 project. I’ve tested and cleaned the old one and it seems to be ok, but we all know how sensitive the electrics are and it just doesn’t feel right to use the old one.
As often on this site this is excellent information and I like the idea to perhaps use different diameters to optimize the harness. I’ll keep that in mind when deciding on lighting and signals.
Not to hijack the thread, my build log has the harness build from about post 53 and on. It is in my signature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts