Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slow jet, the very small jet way down deep in the tiny diameter tube, where you can't fit any reasonable screwdriver, is stuck.

If you don't know what i mean, the jet on this carb is about 1/2" down in a tube opening that no normal screwdriver can fit in. I've been using a large eyeglasses screwdriver.

I've tried about 24 hours of wd40, enough heat to where i couldn't touch the whole carb body, and plenty of moderate tapping. but it won't budge. I've twisted up two tiny screwdrivers at this point.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I used a grinder to transform a regular harbor freight screw driver into one that fits down in there.
Might want to squirt and soak with carb cleaner, not wd40

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have carb cleaner, I can try that. No grinder tho. I went to the hardware store today and put a brand new screw driver in there and tried turning, and it twisted the thing up. not a flimsy eyeglass one either. The cashier was a little bummed out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No luck. I'll be taking it to a shop this weekend to see if they can get it.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Something doesn't seem right about this, the jet is made of brass and usually will break or distort before the steel screw driver. Can you see the slot in the jet and does it look OK?

......Paul

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the only screw drivers I can fit down in the tube are quite small. a 1/8" screw driver won't fit. I've twisted up the flat-headed part of two pretty small screwdrivers. Yes the brass is quite soft, the slot is still there although its starting to get a bit mangled. If I could fit a tool down there that had a handle sized for adult human hands, I bet I could get it to turn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a jet that has a slot that looks like a screw driver slot - but isn't. Common Motor Collective has a great video on this. It doesn't screw out, it's pressed.

Are you sure you're not trying to unscrew a pressed-in jet?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already got the other one out of the other carb, and it was a screw out. So I can confirm that it screws out. I got the two press-out ones out fine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I grinded a few (cheaper) large screwdrivers to be more narrow on the end, for such applications (also helpful for synching carbs).

With tools, you get what you pay for, and cheap tools are usually cheaply made. I have a 20 year old Stihl screwdriver I got with a chainsaw, that I am usually using for any small jets, and it' still as good as new. Meanwhile, I bought a (cheap-ish) set of screwdrivers at the supermarket some time ago, and one of them actually cracked in half.

Most of my tools are Unior or Gedore. They are expensive, but I have some that are a few decades old and are still fine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the carb body to the mechanic today and they said the slot was flared - not coming out without some extensive machine work. So I'm going to buy another body for like $30.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Boil the carb body for a few hours in water; then try again ( use an old pan for marital harmony...)
Nigel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts