Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rebuilt my 68 Cl350 and I've now got it running, both with the electric start and kick. When I turn the bike off it sounds like my starter motor was spinning with the engine. It does this even when I unhook the starter lower and start by kick. The gear that the starter chain runs to is suppose to disengage when the engine spins and appears to be working fine. Any ideas what's going on here? Is it even a problem to worry about?

I will reiterate: the starter IS NOT engaging constantly, but is turning with the engine.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Sometimes, if the engine "kicks back" on shutoff (really doesn't happen often though), the brief backspin can cause the starter clutch to react and cause the starter motor to spin a small amount. I'd be curious to hear what it does in a video, but if the starter clutch is in good shape, it will not be engaged until the starter motor is turning faster than the engine (in other words, when the engine isn't running). When you say "starter lower", do you mean the cable to the starter motor?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I meant "starter power". I only ever hear it when the engine turns off, so maybe that's all it is.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Again, if you could post a video of the sound, taken near the starter clutch area (alternator cover) as the engine shuts off, it might allow us to hear something identifiable

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Do you mean you shut the key off and the starter is still turning the engine over?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts