Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i FINALLY got my magneto off. i tried last winter and ended up with my finger caught in the starter sprocket. still don't know what i thought that would do. anyway, a few stitches and 6 months later, i got it off to find the usual compressed springs and worn down spring cover things.
I have two questions. first, to confirm that they little things on the springs are meant to be little cap/covers and not just little cylinders like mine are. i assume they've just worn down so badly one end is missing. and second, any thoughts on where to get some replacements? the springs weren't broken and all the rollers looked good. just need to find those little spring cap things.
any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
it's hard to tell from your description...can you post photos. I've never had any problems with stater clutches but have had them apart for inspection occasionally...
from what I've seen, those little caps on the springs are just to hold tension on the roller clutches so that they engage the crankshaft properly when you hit the starter button.

I've not noticed any wear on any of the ones i've had apart. you can check them pretty easily...when they are clean and assembled (without the rotor attached) slide the starter clutch on the crank shaft and rotate it in both directions by hand (this will turn the crank so it's better to have the spark plugs out and in neutral)
if it freewheels clockwise and grabs without slipping counterclockwise I'd call it good and put it back together.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish i could but i needed to use the bike so i tossed it all back together. when i tested it by hand the clutch worked fine but once i actually tested it with the starter it was still skipping. i'll try to describe it better. the little caps i found in my clutch were not so much caps. they were more like little short metal straws. cylinders. like a tube open at both ends. i'm pretty sure one end, the end that pushes the roller, is supposed to be close off. i think it ground down the caps and wore the end off. i can push the springs through and out the other side. does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Yes they are deffinitely supposed to be caps. I'd be curious to know what wore them down. Are the clutch rollers rusted or pitted? same for the crank shaft where the rollers sit...?

was the starter clutch rusted and not allowing the rollers to slide freely? I've never considered this a wear item before and am curious to know if I should or if there was something unusual about your specific bike.

How many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really just glanced at my rollers and stuff but i'm pretty sure they're in decent shape. and the bike was kind of a barn find, just sitting around outside-ish and i restored it. i'm fairly certain the speedo was original and only listed 1400 when i found it. now its at about 4400 and i just got the magneto off. the starter clutch hasn't worked since i found the bike. i really have no idea how they could have been worn down if they aren't usual wear down parts. has anyone tried to fill the end of the caps with solder? do you think it would work? would they just fall out and mess up my magneto? also, indecently, i left my ignition switch on and melted my left coil. oops. anyone in southeast MN have a spare coil laying around? :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts