Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Cleaned the bike and degreased the engine. Then went out for about a 40 mile toot in and around Ruskin & down by the river anyway this time I wasn't in I 'hope I make it home' mode and wound out each gear just below redline (forgot how much fun that is)... Anyway when I got home I discovered a small bit of oil on the front of the fin at the level of the spark plug (before I cleaned this morning there was also oil all along this fin). I could use some help in diagnosis and where I should begin to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance - Joe.

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG
Close-Up

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
that is an odd location for oil... not usually between the fins, generally at the head gasket area or above if leaking slightly from the cam bearing gasket or around one of the rocker shaft O-rings. suppose it could be fork oil blowing back on it. seems if there was, and it came from the forks, it might have burned on the header pipe too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clues, this one had me puzzled. I'll keep an eye on it and look to see if something is coming off the fork.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Check the tachometer drive cable seal on the other side of the engine. I had a leak there and the oil showed up near the same place you're finding it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Check the tachometer drive cable seal on the other side of the engine. I had a leak there and the oil showed up near the same place you're finding it.
Thanks 83... Good news no oil around the tach cable, unfortunately the source of the oil is the points box. Took the points cover off and there was oil along the bottom rim of the cover on the inside, and the points cable is saturated with oil. I'm guessing this will be a fairly big deal to repair.

Found this thread looks like the culprit... oil leak - points box

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem... The oil is coming out of the valve adjusters, there is no oil behind the points plate, would the cure be to replace the O rings behind the adjuster nut?

There has been some serious fiddling about inside the points compartment by what appears to be non professionals.

The dial pointer on the exhaust valve adjuster is pointed in the wrong direction too...

Thanks for any advice - Joe.

Valve Adjuster.JPG

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Replacing the o rings involves removing the cam bearing, which can be a tricky task. While best done by removing the engine and partial top end disassembly, it can be done in frame but you risk damage to the engine if done incorrectly

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^yes, and this specific post from the link above (though on an SL350) explains what it takes to do it. Biggest thing to be sure of is doing everything you can to remove tension on the cam bearing before removing it to avoid damage to the aluminum bearing surface both during removal and re-installation - if you can't slip it off the cam without force, then you'll have to pull the engine to do it properly. I've done it many times with my 450 and others, getting things properly in position is the key

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/22592-oil-leak-points-box.html#post184493

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
The Gasket behind the Cam End LOOKS symetrical but it is NOT.

If installed in correctly it will cause the O-RINGS for the Adjusters to be pinched and they will LEAK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts