Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I figured I should start documenting my first build. Hopefully I can complete this bike before winter and the birth of our 3rd child.

I bought the bike and brought it home in the back of a minivan. 1 CL350 frame with some "racing" bracing from some previous owner. 2 SL350 engines and 1 CL350 engine. Several boxes of misc parts.

Photo album
https://goo.gl/photos/71NN5rUibSRyMvs16

I have not been very diligent about photos unfortunately.

Here is the current plan.
-rebuild SL350 engine
-electronic ignition
-new carbs (carbs were in pieces)
-all new wiring.
-new rear suspension
-lowered front suspension

Steps taken so far.
Stripped down all engines. I was planning on leaving one intact for reference but I needed a Kickstarter idle gear as one was broken. The second one had no bushing and I stripped down the CL350 engine only to realize it doesn't have that part.

Cleaned, walnut blasted and bead blasted parts. Rattle canned the engine using VHT paint.

Dry fitted engine back together to see what gaskets I am missing. Just seems like a left crank case cover. Had to order that on eBay.

Tons of Dimecity parts. My budget for this bike has gotten a bit out of hand but I don't want to fail so I am willing to pay to take some shortcut.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to the sand blast place today. Love this place. Pay by the minute and get everything looking factory fresh. Did the frame and some fork parts.

I also started test fitting parts but I am waiting on my new camchain and the machine shop to finish adding a new oiled bronze bushing for my kick start idle gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Love that sandblast job. I plan on doing mine next year or so after getting mine running for some fall riding (hopefully). I feel you're pain on Dime City though. Practically everything is $50. Gasket set? $50. Engine seals? $50. Gas latch? $50. Ugh. Anyway, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love that sandblast job. I plan on doing mine next year or so after getting mine running for some fall riding (hopefully). I feel you're pain on Dime City though. Practically everything is $50. Gasket set? $50. Engine seals? $50. Gas latch? $50. Ugh. Anyway, good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worse I am in Canada so its in USD and then you have to pay duties! I do really like their website and ser

Here is my current list of parts I bought. Prices removed for my own sanity.

DimeCity
  • Motion Pro Honda Oil Filter & Clutch Hub Tool - 24mm
  • Polished Stainless Steel Allen Head Bolt Kit - (Fits: CB/CL350 & CB250)
  • RED-KOTE® The Only "Real" Fuel Tank Sealer and Liner (1 Quart)
  • 1/4" Solid Red Fuel Line
  • Honda 2-into-1 Throttle Cable (2.75" Shorter than Stock) - (Fits: CB/CL350's)
  • MotoGadget M-Unit V2 (Digital Control and Fuse Box)
  • MotoGadget M-Button for M-Unit V2
  • "The Coveted" Mikuni VM32 Carburetor Complete High Performance/Race Kit (CB350, CL350, SL350, CB360 & CL360)
  • Engine Oil Seal Kit - (Fits: CB/CL350)
  • Front Wheel Bearing & Seal Kit - (Fits: All Model CB's)
  • Motion Pro 1/4" NPT to 1/4" Fuel Line Petcock
  • 7mm Red Copper Dynatek Spark Plug Wire Set
  • Charlie's Place Electronic Ignition System - (Fits: Honda CB350, CL350, & SL350 1968-73)
  • 11.38" (289mm) Black "Shorty" Eye to Clevis Shock Absorbers
  • DCC Originals Losev LED Headlight - 7" w/ Halo DRL

eBay
  • Honda 11395-312-010 L. GASKET SL 350
  • EK Cam Chain - 219H x 94L - 14401-410-003 - XL250 CB350 CL350 SL350 CB750

Local
  • Shifter spindle (Motorcycle salvage shop)
  • Rebushing Kickstart Idle gear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Primed the frame and some fork parts today. Started to disemble front disc break.(from a CB360 I think) but it's not wanting to come apart. Hoses are definitely shot and when I opened up the master cylinder it looked like it was full of brown sugar.

Thinking about swinging by the salvage yard to look for some other options.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts