Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good way to clean up the area where the original shift lever linkage was originally? I just bought this 1969 CL350 and it came with an aftermarket shift lever - which I'm fine with. But it looks a bit junky where the original used to attach.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just cut a small chrome sleeve to fit over the mount and put a stainless nut and washer on it.
That's a good idea. I haven't looked into it enough to know if something that can be removed entirely, or if it's used for other purposes. My guess would be the latter...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't imagine what other purpose the post could serve being that close to the existing shifter. The post is pressed into the bracket IIRC, might be difficult to remove without creating a hole that would have to be properly filled to look decent

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I got tired of looking at mine that way and found a good OEM shifter on eBay. I think it actually shifts better with the linkage setup.

image.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, now my wife is thinking she wants to go back to the original shifter so the lever is a bit closer to the peg. Any idea which years are interchangeable with 1969?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Before I returned mine to an original linkage setup, I slid a short piece of black hose over that stud and used a chrome acorn nut with a washer on the end of the stud. That protected the stud from rust or damage, and looked O.K. too. Ace hardware has metric acorn nuts.

Later on:

If you are already blessed with the original parts, I would certainly leave it as is unless you are after some sort of stripped down look. It took me a while to find the original setup. I tend to like the original appearance for my bikes.

Reactions: ksmith0034
1 - 12 of 12 Posts