Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my newest acquisition; CL350 with 1000 ACTUAL miles on it. just trying to figure out of its a 72 or 73?

·
Registered
738 Posts
1972. Doesn't have the grab rail around the seat or correct tank color for a 1973 among other items. Exceptionally nice find.
Also the 4 at the beginning of the serial # makes it a 1972

·
Registered
738 Posts
It has probably never even had the tank off so it would be of interest to document for the rest of us how the cables and wire harnesses are run and attached.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heres my newest acquisition; CL350 with 1000 ACTUAL miles on it. just trying to figure out of its a 72 or 73? View attachment 312421 View attachment 312420
Heres my newest acquisition; CL350 with 1000 ACTUAL miles on it. just trying to figure out of its a 72 or 73? View attachment 312421 View attachment 312420
This is a CL350 K4. It does not have a "model year". Honda motorcycles did not have "model years" until 1976. This bike manufactured in 1972, and sold in 1972 and 1973, but is NOT a 1972 model it is a " CL350 K4" model. When Honda was required (by US govt.) to assign a "model year" it is clearly printed on steering head VIN label, beginning in 1976. To claim a Honda is a 68 or a 72 is not accurate. Honda John

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Nice bike.Really clean for a 40+ year old bike.
I have that same back rack but mine has developed a CRACK near the center plate over the hitch.
The 350's are right on the end of it's weight range so keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has probably never even had the tank off so it would be of interest to document for the rest of us how the cables and wire harnesses are run and attached.
The previous owner had the tank and seat off and stored in the house. The tank needs a cleaning . I will post some pics when i have a chance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice bike.Really clean for a 40+ year old bike.
I have that same back rack but mine has developed a CRACK near the center plate over the hitch.
The 350's are right on the end of it's weight range so keep an eye on it.
I plan on selling the hitch rack since i now have the pickup. i do agree they are meant for more lightweight bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a CL350 K4. It does not have a "model year". Honda motorcycles did not have "model years" until 1976. This bike manufactured in 1972, and sold in 1972 and 1973, but is NOT a 1972 model it is a " CL350 K4" model. When Honda was required (by US govt.) to assign a "model year" it is clearly printed on steering head VIN label, beginning in 1976. To claim a Honda is a 68 or a 72 is not accurate. Honda John
Thank you for this info. I was mainly asking which year it was for titling purposes. The other info is also good to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1972. Doesn't have the grab rail around the seat or correct tank color for a 1973 among other items. Exceptionally nice find.
Also the 4 at the beginning of the serial # makes it a 1972
According to Honda’s Motercycle Identification Guide, your VIN # was sold in both 1972 and 1973. It is not a 1973 only model, which has a VIN starting CL350-5xxx.
Thank you for this info. I was mainly asking which year it was for titling purposes. The other info is also good to know.
Honda John is correct. My experience in the industry and Honda’s Motorcycle Identification Guide Back him up. Instead of model year, when you go to purchase parts, ask for CL350K4 parts and you’ll get the right thing. Not that there was a lot of change year to year beyond color and exhaust system. That’s a beauty, have fun with her..

·
Registered
738 Posts
According to Honda’s Motercycle Identification Guide, your VIN # was sold in both 1972 and 1973. It is not a 1973 only model, which has a VIN starting CL350-5xxx.

Honda John is correct. My experience in the industry and Honda’s Motorcycle Identification Guide Back him up. Instead of model year, when you go to purchase parts, ask for CL350K4 parts and you’ll get the right thing. Not that there was a lot of change year to year beyond color and exhaust system. That’s a beauty, have fun with her..
Tell that to the DMV and see how much appreciation they have for the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide.
Unless their is current registration on that bike that says otherwise I would bet good money anyone charged with inspecting it for the DMV would say it is a 1972.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tell that to the DMV and see how much appreciation they have for the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide.
Unless their is current registration on that bike that says otherwise I would bet good money anyone charged with inspecting it for the DMV would say it is a 1972.
How much "good money" are you ready to bet?

·
Sensei
27,036 Posts
The DMV in some states rely on the date of manufacture, not on the date sold or date of MSO transfer......
The SERIAL NUMBER on that bike indicates it is a 1972 K4 model as it does NOT have an actual 16 digit VIN........
The titling process varied greatly state to state with some using the engine number instead of the frame number.....
On the pre-VIN bikes these were often very different....

You may be correct for the State that it is being titled in now, but that does not necessarily follow true everywhere.....I'd hold off on the bet......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts