Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i?ve recently purchased a CL350 which had been given a ?cafe? treatment, with super cheap rearsets which I?ve now removed for the stock setup. My issue is that I can screw the adjusting nut all the way onto the brake rod and still not get the shoes to lock the wheel. With the nut screwed all the way, and the spring off the rod, I can put the brake pedal down and it?ll hit the engine case before the brake shoes do anything.

The rod is the right length and the arm is positioned on the shaft by notch in the splines, but the arm is way forward - 5 o?clock as you look it. It would be better if it was more 7 o?clock. The arm had been pointing up when the rearsets were fitted, but I loosened the wheel and hub and rotated the shaft 180 degrees.

Is this just it needing new shoes or have I missed something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You can remove the wheel and check.

Post a photo of the arm that attaches to the hub. There's a dot punch mark on the arm that should line up with a dot punch mark on the splined shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
CL-Brake.jpg
This is a CL it shows the Brake parts better than the CB's No muffler in the way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Doode - i?m probably being a bit lazy as the bike?s outnon the street as I have no garage at present, and the centre stand is missing, so getting the back wheel off is a PITA. But I will do it.

I had a closer look and I was a spline out with the dots. Now, with the adjuster nut screwed all the way up until the spring on the rod is fully compressed, I can get some brakes without the pedal hitting the engine. But it?s not perfect.

Yendor - that?s exactly what I assumed it should be like. I have a stock CB250 and it?s the same. Mine is screwed in as far as it can go, and there is still a lot of play in the pedal before it bites.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here?s a couple more photos that may be better.

Devilclown - I think I will fit some new shoes and then, if need be, I can move the arm a spline?

Doode - Why a new chain? The wheel is pretty far forward. A shorter chain would pull it further forward, no?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Oh jeez, you're right. Sorry I saw the long bolts on the adjusters and thought the reverse. Let us know how it looks inside!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha! No worries. I did wonder if the brake rod appeared too long because the chain was shorter. I haven?t counted the links (it should have 96 I think?) but will check it when the wheel comes off to install new shoes.

I?ll post pics when I get a chance to open it up. Thanks Doode.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You can move the lever another couple of splines to get a more ideal angle/adjustment range. Pull the rear wheel and check out the brake shoes, the cause of the issue is likely the brake lining worn thin.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. I fitted new shoes this morning and the rear brake is now dialled in and spot on with the dots lined up. Great stuff. Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts