Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might as well start a thread now and document this one too.
I picked up a second '69 CL350 for my soon to be son-in-law, he's decided on a Cafe style bike with a WWII aircraft theme to go the opposite direction of my daughters resto/mod.

This one is a rough, missing a few bits (they are actually on my daughters CL... LOL) The tank is conveniently full of old fuel and water and looks like the bilge of an old ship inside.. He wants a Manx style tank so its not a big deal, although I'm going to cut out the bottom part of the tank and save it because I'll most likely end up grafting it into the new tank so it fits the frame properly.

The engine turns over but has been sitting for some time and looks as of someone tried to polish the side covers with an angle grinder.. It will get torn down, get new pistons and a valve job etc. The color scheme for the engine will be similar to some WWII radial engines I've seen with gray, black and natural aluminum.

The frame and suspension haven't really been discussed yet, I'm thinking that we will stay with the spoke wheels as they are in great shape. We may do something different with the front forks.

Attachments

Reactions: ctrider

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think we've nailed down the tank and tail... A Manx style and a custom seat pan and tail combo..

I found a steel tank that could easily be grafted onto the base of the current CL tank with some work.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've been kicking around ideas for this build, motorcycle fever has bitten my daughter hard...LOL no crazy idea is rejected.... with that said, we picked up a set of SV throttle bodies that will be adapted to fuel the fire... LOL
We also picked up swing arm that will find its way onto the bike..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Fuel injection, not a bad idea. It's been attempted in the past but due to the very weak charging system it's been a failure. However Matt, aka Sonrier, at Sparckmoto is starting production on a 3 phase alternator that should be @180W.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel injection, not a bad idea. It's been attempted in the past but due to the very weak charging system it's been a failure. However Matt, aka Sonrier, at Sparckmoto is starting production on a 3 phase alternator that should be @180W.
Good to know... thanks for the info

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of planning on this build.. although I have done some work on the EFI system. Using a set of R6 tb's, split up and just using the outer units, throttle on the left and the TPS on the right, I figured out the spacing made some spacers to go in between throttle bodies cut down the two bolts that hold everything together. Cut down the fuel rail, just need to get it welded up I left the factory fuel Inlet and return for now, it will probably change because they're both facing the wrong direction but I want to get in the frame before I make those changes and where my fuel supply from the tank is going to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to work on this a little bit, I worked out the mounting of the TB's.
I drew up a set of adapters for the odd ball R6 manifolds that bolt up at an angle. Going to send them off to get cut this week.
When the engine comes apart I'll match the R6 throat to the intake port, with a nice taper it should flow a bit smoother. I also found a set of aluminum velocity stacks that match the length of the stock R6 units, I figure that would be a good place to start when its time to tune it.
Adapter_Plate.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts