Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Just bought a '73 CL350. Idiot me, I didn't ride her after I bought it. Cranks right up w/ electric starter, but we are having issues with the clutch. We tried adjusting the clutch inside the left crankcase and out. Tried that, but couldn't figure it out. The bearing and everything was in place behind the left case. The dust cover was bent, but there.

A buddy and I decided to take off the right cover to see what the clutch looked like, and because the kickstart wouldn't catch. Well, after opening the right side, we found that there are a bunch of loose gears inside the kickstart housing, and now we are worried we are going to have to split the case to reassemble the kickstarter and figure out what all parts are inside. I can try to post some pictures asap. Bike is at my buddy's shop... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid not at this point re:good deal. In Pensacola, FL. I'll send pics as soon as we can get back under the cover. I'm afraid the kickstarter pinion and some other parts are floating around. Will post asap

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If the kick shaft guts have come loose than a trip to the bottom is in order. Get some new seals and hondabond and you'll have it knocked out in a couple hours

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I only have one photo that really only shows the outside of the case. I can confirm that the kickstart assembly came loose on the inside. I'm assuming that's all that's rattling in there.
Can someone confirm that we can pull the engine and pull the bottom case off without disassembling the top case by flipping the engine over?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the bottom crankcase. In the picture the hole where the kickstart goes in, there is a chip gone. I'm thinking we may just take the kickstarter all the way off, or just not use the kickstarter after we fix it (assuming all goes to plan).
IMG_6991.jpg IMG_6991.jpg IMG_6991.jpg

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You can flip over and leave the top intact
If you reinstall the kick shaft then get a new circlip (from honda). They're like $1.
If you remove completely then you can plug the crankcase cover, but it's less work to just reassemble since you're in there

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
(2) NOTES: on installation of the Circlip.

1)- They "ARE - DIRECTIONAL.
Meaning there is a correct side to install that will hold against pressure and the opposite surface that will allow it to slip off and come loose.

These are cheap $.50 cent parts (well honda might be getting $2.00 for them) but they cost about $.05 to make.
They are stamped out. That leaves the top surface rounded over with a sharp clean edge on the bottom.
If you install the rounded edge to the side that will apply pressure against it - it "CAN and often "WILL" slip off.

Install Circlips with the Sharp Edge to hold against the pressure of the spring loaded stack of gears for the Kick Starter or be preapared to pull it apart again.

2)- Also be VERY - VERY Careful how much you spread the Clip when installing it.
It is a Very Small Spring Metal Clip and you can easily over spread the ends and lose the SPRING Tension that holds it closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So we split the case and now are worried we can't reinstall the kickstarter...I'm afraid I need to get a new lower case since we are assuming we need that kickstarter installed. We also have a broken clutch basket. I can't seem to upload it. Does anyone have a lead on where I can get a 1973 CB350 or CL350 Lower case? And/Or clutch basket?

20190409_190059-1.jpg 20190409_191950-1.jpg 20190409_191953.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other question I have is, does an earlier year lower case fit on the 1973? There are some on ebay, but the only one that looks a little better is a '69.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think the kick mech was updated through the years but not sure if the lower case changed or not.
Another thing to check and confirm is that the windage tray doesn't have any cracks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts