Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been restoring a 1971 CL350 K3 and am slowly in the process of reassembling everything, which is very exciting. Still missing some stuff though and the exhaust is one of the items. I can't seem to find many options when it comes to aftermarket exhaust (scrambler style), and most used parts on eBay are rusty and have holes in them. Not too eager to deal with that at the moment (unless it's not as big of a deal as I think). However, I have found one listing for the exhaust that seems to be in really good shape, but they say that some of it has been painted to prevent more rust. Not sure if this is is okay to do or will cause problems in the future? I really like the original exhaust and have heard it's hard to find these things in good shape these days. Just looking for some advice on what the smartest choice would be. Is buying the painted exhaust a bad idea? Would it be better to wait and try to find something in better shape? Spend a bunch more money on a custom piece? Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
It looks OK, since most of the painted-over rust is on the back of the lower muffler. That said, I'd expect one to be in near-perfect condition for that price. Patience is your friend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks OK, since most of the painted-over rust is on the back of the lower muffler. That said, I'd expect one to be in near-perfect condition for that price. Patience is your friend.
Oh you think I could find one in better condition? Perhaps I will give it some time. I did find one guy who makes custom ones, but I'm not sure I want to pay over 800 bucks for them.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've seen nicer ones for sale on eBay and on various Honda sites. You have to be vigilant and patient, though. If you want stock, you'll probably never be happy with a custom one. If you're going custom with the 350, then anything goes.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I agree with 83XLX, that price is high for what it is. I have seen nicer ones sell for half that on eBay in the last few years. Patience is a virtue but I am well aware it is hard to practice sometimes. At the price in that listing you should practice patience or you risk buyer’s remorse. Another angle is to piece a set together. Find a usable set for much cheaper and then be diligent in your search for the necessary parts to make it right (or good enough).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen nicer ones for sale on eBay and on various Honda sites. You have to be vigilant and patient, though. If you want stock, you'll probably never be happy with a custom one. If you're going custom with the 350, then anything goes.
You're right. I really want the originals and will probably regret not waiting to get them. It's hard to wait and be patient for something that might not show up for a while!

I agree with 83XLX, that price is high for what it is. I have seen nicer ones sell for half that on eBay in the last few years. Patience is a virtue but I am well aware it is hard to practice sometimes. At the price in that listing you should practice patience or you risk buyer’s remorse. Another angle is to piece a set together. Find a usable set for much cheaper and then be diligent in your search for the necessary parts to make it right (or good enough).
Buying them separate is something I've thought about too. And I'll have to be patient to find the right ones there too because the ones I see now are quite rough looking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess it depends on how stock you want it. For my 72 CL450 rebuild I had to get an exhaust. I bought a very poorly welded one, cut off the muffler section so I'm just left with the two pipes. I then bought 2 Harley Sportster mufflers. I did the same thing on my GL1000 Gold Wing and really liked the sound.

The mufflers should be here this week, except now we're having a blizzard in North Dakota, so who knows.

Bud.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
It's difficult to fit two mufflers to a set of cut CL header pipes unless you tweak the pipes and/or mounts for more space between the pipes and for shock absorber clearance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Patience.......that's it.

I'm in the same boat looking for an exhaust for a CB350 engine mounted in a SL350 frame, trust me not the easiest to find an exhaust for.

I have a 350 exhaust header pipes, but won't fit right.

So looking for CL350 exhaust header tubes.

May fit better.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm with 83XLX and 12ozPBR, that price is too high. I would find it very difficult to pay roughly half as much as the value of the bike for a set of used pipes

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm with 83XLX and 12ozPBR, that price is too high. I would find it very difficult to pay roughly half as much as the value of the bike for a set of used pipes
I actually just took another look at that link I posted and they increased the price back up to what it was like a month ago (I've been watching this one). I would never pay 750 for this condition, that's way too much. Any suggestions for where to keep an eye out for these exhausts other than eBay, here, and craigslist?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Yes, there are a couple Honda 350 Facebook groups as well as a few vintage Honda Facebook groups.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I actually just took another look at that link I posted and they increased the price back up to what it was like a month ago (I've been watching this one). I would never pay 750 for this condition, that's way too much. Any suggestions for where to keep an eye out for these exhausts other than eBay, here, and craigslist?
Hey - I know it's a bit late, but the link is still working so I guess that you didn't pull the trigger. Just fyi - I made a bid on those exact same pipes sometime over the summer. They've been for sale for a long time. I offered $350, then went back at $400. They obviously didn't bite either time. But I think that's about what they are worth. I bought a set from a HT member, had them shipped across the US, sent them out for ceramic coating and I'm in for about $425 total.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey - I know it's a bit late, but the link is still working so I guess that you didn't pull the trigger. Just fyi - I made a bid on those exact same pipes sometime over the summer. They've been for sale for a long time. I offered $350, then went back at $400. They obviously didn't bite either time. But I think that's about what they are worth. I bought a set from a HT member, had them shipped across the US, sent them out for ceramic coating and I'm in for about $425 total.
Ha good to know! Definitely overpriced. I couldn't do it even when it was a lower price. After I sent an email (just asking a couple questions) the price shot back up, which really turned me off. Anyway, I waited a few days and found another set for sale! Was able to buy them for $375 plus shipping. Had a little more rust than I thought from the photos, but I was able to clean them up quite nicely in my opinion. Also, I need to buy the upper muffler cover because the photos didn't make it obvious that it was missing. I guess that's the nature of buying this kind of stuff online though. But I'm very happy that I waited and got these ones because I'm pretty sure I would have been disappointed with the silver paint on the other ones.

Here are some photos of them after I cleaned them up if anyone is interested:

View attachment 273652

IMG_0694.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
They look nice, I assume these can be fitted to a CB as long as the side panel is changed?

Are there any performance differences between these and standard CB ones?

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts