Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I apologize if i'm posting in the wrong location or any other slip ups I make (Long time Lurker, first time post..er), as well i'm fairly new to the motorcycle world personally but I have family that has been working on bikes for around 35 years.

I have a 1973 Honda CL350 that ive been rebuilding for the last few months without issue, changed out the Ignition to Electronic, upgraded coils, other basic things. Side Note: This bike has been sitting for around 25 Years without any love.

Last weekend was my first time on her and she ran like a dream for the first half hour, piddled around town, drove down some super long back roads, all that jazz. About 5 minutes before I returned home I noticed that the engine was jumping into the 6k rpm range when I had my clutch pulled in at a stop, but it would correct itself when I got going again. Upon my arrival home, I parked the bike and left it in neutral to see if I could find out what the issue was but then noticed the breather tube from the head of the engine was putting out a decent amount of white smoke. Instinctively that was my queue to shut her off.

I know its not a ton of information and if I can give any more please let me know. Just trying to find out where I should start or what the issue could be. (Attempting to become more self sufficient, not to keen on the idea of breaking down and not knowing how my vehicle works)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, all bikes vent some from the breather tube, that's what's there for. Excessive smoke indicates too much blow by. Probably from worn rings. A compression test will tell the tale. The high revs is another issue, often a leaky intake manifold or dry felt seals on throttle shaft.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Given that it's been sitting for an extended time I would ride it more before worrying about the blow by. Get the idle issue fixed, do a compression test, ride it a while, do another compression test, then you'll have good information to make a plan with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Thank you Rich!!! I gave the Manifold clamp a little more omf and found that it fixed the idle issue! Now any advice on how to get a 30 year old oil plug out, ive tried PB Blaster and some other methods to no avail, she's in there and hanging on with all she's got. My preemptive oil change consisted of me running oil through it and out the stator cover until it came out clean. I know this probably means I still have some guk in the engine but I can say the internals are VERY clean.

I'm going to ride her some more as the weather here is halfway decent and see if it smooths out the kinks and possibly removed the smoke from the breather tube (I noticed improvement upon my next 10+ Mile Ride) but getting that plug out is my next priority.

Also would anyone be able to give me any advice on how to best "Break In" the engine to prevent me from busting something that hasn't moved in years? The last thing I want is to buy another hard to find part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts