Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick run down: Bought a bike, got it running, discovered stripped plug holes, installed insert, rode bike, plug and insert blew out, sourced another head.

Now that the run down is out of the way I have a bottom end on my bench needing to be put back together. On the new head I had the valves done. Same guy who did my valves also looked at the jug and said they looked good. Have yet to look at the cam and rockers.

So the main reason I've started this is for advice on my timing chain and tensioner. Here's what I got going on right now! (See pics) Obviously I need the tensioner but what about the pulley thing? This chain did cut into the jug a bit but after pulling the motor apart I don't think it had any tension.

I think I'll keep the current chain for now as I'm kinda trying to get it back on the road asap.

Does any have any suggestions for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you plan to keep the bike and ride it for the long haul, I'd replace the tensioner assembly and the center roller as well. I know it won't necessarily be cheap, but the rubber on the tensioner roller is clearly hard and brittle and will start to come apart in the not-too-distant future, and chunks of rubber will be everywhere in the oil in the bottom end... not to mention the loss of tensioning capability, leading to more chain rubbing the cam chain tunnel in the cylinders (previously happening due to lack of maintenance, cam chain tension was ignored for some time undoubtedly)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I second that. It's worth the extra scratch and it makes a difference. It'll be more expensive if you do it later on account of gaskets, oil seals and not to mention your time. I skimped on the cam chain assembly and a few other things once. I had to tear the whole engine apart almost a year later :-/
Also, If the bike requires the repair at a more inconvenient time in your life, it could end up sitting way longer than you'd like (speaking from experience, my cb350G has been sitting for 3 years because of a kickstarter spring...). Life happens I s'pose. Good luck bud!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The tensioner set looks good. There are those who would say that NOS (new old stock, meaning new but never sold) rubber parts, like the rollers involved, would be hard from age... and while I suppose it's possible, if they've been stored in a decent environment (not a hot, non-temperature controlled warehouse) I'd imagine they'd be okay... and certainly light years ahead of re-using your existing parts. I personally prefer DID cam chains and 4into1.com lists one for the 350 engine, but it's a little pricey at $55 and they are out of stock right now as well. Unless you plan to break the chain and use a staked or pressed-on master link, you'll have to split the cases to install an endless cam chain on the 350 engine

·
Registered
891 Posts
The parts from ebay show as the current packaging from Honda. You also need the guide piece to complete the job.

EK chains are all I use on my 350 builds and have had no issues.

Split the cases to replace the chain and replace all the seals at the same time, well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The parts from ebay show as the current packaging from Honda. You also need the guide piece to complete the job.

EK chains are all I use on my 350 builds and have had no issues.

Split the cases to replace the chain and replace all the seals at the same time, well worth the time and effort.
Going to order the tensioner kit from common motor collective and the EK chain I linked earlier. You mentioned splitting the cases. Any good links to what seals need be replaced or a parts list?

https://www.common-motor.com/honda-...CfSqT9YAQrx86TDGLJdX6gNjVXfum7bhoC0j0QAvD_BwE

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
Going to order the tensioner kit from common motor collective and the EK chain I linked earlier. You mentioned splitting the cases. Any good links to what seals need be replaced or a parts list?

https://www.common-motor.com/honda-...CfSqT9YAQrx86TDGLJdX6gNjVXfum7bhoC0j0QAvD_BwE

https://www.common-motor.com/honda-350-oil-seal-kit

If you are buying from Common Motors then add this seal set. It includes the cam seal which most sets don't. You may be able to find it cheaper without that seal but shipping etc.

They also have the sealant you will need for reassembly. Pick up some assembly lube too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
https://www.common-motor.com/honda-350-oil-seal-kit

If you are buying from Common Motors then add this seal set. It includes the cam seal which most sets don't. You may be able to find it cheaper without that seal but shipping etc.

They also have the sealant you will need for reassembly. Pick up some assembly lube too.
Is there not a gasket kit for the bottom end or is it just the sealant?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Gaskets for the bottom end are for the case covers only. Sealant like Hondabond is used on the case halves when you reassemble them. As long as you have everything apart, it's smart to replace the seals - they're usually not included in a typical gasket set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gaskets for the bottom end are for the case covers only. Sealant like Hondabond is used on the case halves when you reassemble them. As long as you have everything apart, it's smart to replace the seals - they're usually not included in a typical gasket set.
Okay so ordering the Hondabond 4 and assembly lube(recommendations?), service gasket kit (already have top end kit), and the seal kit will be everything I need that's foreseeable?

Oh I'm also swapping over to all Allen head bolts as well

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any auto parts store will have assembly lube. I have a tube of Permatex Ultra Slick that I've had for years...a little goes a long way. I also have a small oil can that I keep regular motor oil in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts