Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I share this, it may help someone. Be forewarned that this post is not for the pefectionist. I'm simply just trying to pass along some information.

I have a 73 Cl350, with originall Gold Panther Gold paint. The top of the gas tank had rust and I had to sand it down to the metal to remove it. I wanted to keep as much as the original gold, patina and pinstriping, so I initially painted the top gold and left the original paint on the sides. Then gas spilled on the gold paint and it was time to repaint it again. SO I researched paint alternatives and found that some hobbie paint (Candy Panther Gold) but it was bit expensive for the small spray cans the came in.

I then found that the yellow paint in the Dupilcolor Metalcast Anodized line that is a close match to the original CL350 gold paint. You have to use their Metalcast ground base coloR and use light coats of both the ground and the top yellow paint. The semi transparent yellow paint will show all imperfections in the ground paint underneath. Also if you spray too long in one spot, it will show up in a darker spot in the final product. Mine came out far from perfect, but I'm leaving it as is. I suck at spray painting and I've learned to leave good enough alone the hard way.

In the pictures bellow, all the paint within the red pinstriping is the original paint. The paint on top and around the red and black pinstripes is the metalcast paint. I essentially sanded the paint on the top and sides, taped everything inside the pinstripes and paint bombed away.

Added bonus: the Metalcast paint advertises as "a durable enamel finish that is oil, gas and heat resistant to 500 degrees". [/B] I may later on use a y2k clear for added protection but I'm not sure if it compatible with this type of paint.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Boy that kind of matching out of a rattle can is impressive. I'll be checking the paint out. Let us know how it holds up.

I have found from my recent builds that buyers want that worn look at least on the painted parts. I figure I got just as much for the bikes as I would have had I painted them.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I think you did a great job from the pic's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts