Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a trick to getting this front wheel off? It seems like the axle and drum are connected?

wheel2.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the wheel off but I could use some help on how this axle comes out of the drum please. A tip I found to remove the wheel easier is to air it down so it fits out better.
frontb1.jpg frontb2.jpg frontb3.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Crash, the axle is like a long bolt with a nut on the other side, just slip a #3 Phillips screwdriver through the hole on the one side of the axle (IIRC) and use a wrench on the nut on the other side

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That did it, just needed a little more leverage. Wasn't rusted at all, just took a little more force.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here is the current and the new. Looks like the replacement is missing a gear inside for the speedo so gald I noticed.
old1.jpg old2.jpg
new1.jpg new2.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the new one is missing a part in the middle. The second picture has it. Can this just come out easily and be put in the new?
no1.jpg yes1.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
893 Posts
No bearings in the brake panel.

Something looks strange in both those pictures but it could just be the angle. Take a picture with something pointing to the part you are referring to. Get a parts picture and look at it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This picture I have covered the part in green. It is some kind of collar that fits into the drum that the other does not have.

marks1.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This might show it better. The Red is what I currently have. The Green is what is missing.

you.jpg

·
Registered
893 Posts
Parts fiche doesn't show it as a separate piece and I've never had one that was loose.

Looks like the seal is a different size as well. Could the panel be for a different model perhaps?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Your Red/Green picture shows a -286- bike code part number for the brakeplate....
This is a CB part, intended for an 18" wheel, and while it will fit your CL's 19" wheel hub, it won't read correct speeds
(the CB speedo drive gears are of a differing ratio than the gearing for the CL's 19" rim)....
IIRC,They are also mechanically different so they can not be swapped inadvertently/erroneously which could bind the gears.....

Your "other" brakeplate shows as a -290- bike code (with which I am unfamiliar)....
Memory says the CL plate should be a -291- code (again, IIRC, been a long time since Honda dealership days....)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was starting to think it was for a diff bike or CB. I ended up cleaning the original, I guess I have a spare CB wheel brake if anyones looking.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
You missed my point....Is the wheel you have an 18" or a 19"?

Better yet, Phone if not cost prohibitive....540-525-5199...Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts