Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a lot of progress on my project (CL350 K3), but have run into an issue last night when attempting to install the front fender. Problem is that the front fender doesn't seem to fit... Were there different front fenders that only fit certain models of forks? I noticed that I have one where the mounts on the fender are at an angle, where as there are some out there that are straight. I do want to confirm though before spending more money on something that also might not fit. Here are some pictures of what I'm working with:

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Also, I was told by someone that a CL front end (length/width) is different than a CB front end. Is this true? I can't seem to find any information about differences between lengths and widths of the triple tree/forks between the two models. I was under the assumption that they were identical besides the top fork bridge being a clamp vs the one I have in the photos. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I believe the CL's had 19inch front tires, while the CBs's had 18inch. That might alter the height of the mounts I guess.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's not just the height of the mounts - the mounts on the fender in the picture are slanted, and the mounts on the forks are level (perpendicular to the forks). That fender looks like a later CL450 fender, as the mounts on mine are slanted the same

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That's what I like, dealing with those clowns selling on e-bay, half of them don't even know what they're selling.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
824 Posts
The fender in your picture fits the K4 and K5, not as you've figured out the K0 to K3. The spacing between the forks is also different .

CB fenders have 2 stays and holes drilled in them for the mounting hardware, the CL fenders do not have any holes drilled in them. Last is the curvature of the fender is different to accommodate the CB's 18 inch tire and the CL's 19" tire.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yep, the '72 and '73 forks are different from the earlier ones. Your front end is a '71 or earlier, so you need a '68-'71 front fender. There are slight differences in the fender edges (some are rolled, and some aren't) during those 4 years, but they all fit the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I goofed. Realized the spacing/triple trees are different between these years as well.

Is the smaller CB fender is safe to use on the CL? I do have the 19 inch CL wheel and I know the CB fenders are for the 18 inch wheel. Just wondering if this was a possibility as I have access to a CB front fender that's in good shape. However, I don't want to spend the time cleaning it if it's unsafe in any way or it just won't fit correctly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Having played around with my CL and various fenders I can tell you that a CB fender will not be a good choice with the 19"wheel. At best it will be very tight to the tire at the front and back edges and will probably contact even at the center.

I'm running an 18" rear rim laced to a front hub and the 19" fender makes it look like a clown bike. I'm in the process of remaking a CB fender that will have more clearance over the tire than the cb models have and probably more that the cl fender as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having played around with my CL and various fenders I can tell you that a CB fender will not be a good choice with the 19"wheel. At best it will be very tight to the tire at the front and back edges and will probably contact even at the center.

I'm running an 18" rear rim laced to a front hub and the 19" fender makes it look like a clown bike. I'm in the process of remaking a CB fender that will have more clearance over the tire than the cb models have and probably more that the cl fender as well.
Ah yeah I was afraid of that. Thanks for confirming!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts