Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missing one of the 'tounged' washers (tabs on them which can be bent to lock a bolt head from loosening due to vibration). I see that these are virtually impossible to get. Anyone else find a suitable replacement or alternate method for ensuring the brake stay bolts stay put?

Thought about using loctite and keeping an eye them... is that foolhardy? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
should have added that it's part number 17 from this diagram from cmsnl.com!
Head Human body Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Organism

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Drill a hole in the head of the anchor bolt and use safety wire to secure it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drill a hole in the head of the anchor bolt and use safety wire to secure it.
drill a hole transversely through the bolt head (from flat to flat side)? How would a pin or wire prevent the bolt from backing out? Sorry, i dont get what that would look like!

thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I’ve had this Allen bolt (with only a lock washer) in mine for 6 years now, and it’s never loosened.
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
drill a hole transversely through the bolt head (from flat to flat side)? How would a pin or wire prevent the bolt from backing out? Sorry, i dont get what that would look like!

thanks!
Google "safety wiring bolts" used a lot in the aviation industry, and required on most motorcycle racers.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
If you want to keep it original, that part is available from David Silver Spares for US $2.20, plus tax and shipping.

Washer, tongued

They will special order it and have one made for you in 5 to 7 days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think Fxray has the best solution, but I made mine from sheet steel with tinsnips. Seems to work fine. As you can probably tell, I don’t care about “original”, but admire those who do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Missing one of the 'tounged' washers (tabs on them which can be bent to lock a bolt head from loosening due to vibration). I see that these are virtually impossible to get. Anyone else find a suitable replacement or alternate method for ensuring the brake stay bolts stay put?

Thought about using loctite and keeping an eye them... is that foolhardy? Thanks for any input!

Hi- my two cents is that you get the oem lock washers (check ebay). The PO of my 175 did not have them and when the brake arm bolt vibrated out during a ride and i touched the front brake, the hub spun, brake and wheel locked up and dropped me hard while going 40 mph... please use the oem parts and ensure the tabs are bent around the bolts. I don't want to see that happen to anyone again... my leg is still recovering. Steve

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
It’s an aftermarket cable and the end is so large the cotter pin won’t fit. Anyway, there’s no way that thing can fall out of the arm because it’s wedged in there so tight…lol. I’ve owned this bike since 1969 and know every nut and bolt on it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all input folks! I ended up finding NOS one on ebay and ponied up the twelve bucks for it (geesh). 83XLX, your '69 looks amazing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts