Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with installing a new front brake cable.

CL350, so I bought the 51" one. I did compare it to the old one I took off (it was the same length) before throwing it away.

Problem now is that there doesn't seem to be enough slack and I can't figure out why. I started the install at the bottom and when I try to attach the lever, there isn't enough cable. I can get the lever in place, without the upper adjuster, but then the cable is tight and the brake is fully applied.

Does this look right?

InkedBrake_LI.jpg

Is the adjusting nut on the right suppose to be recessed into the side plate in this area? Looking at the black/white photo in the shop manual makes it seem like it is recessed. It seems like this is about what I'm missing in cable length.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Yes, the sleeve on that nut should recess into the holder on the brake plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what I thought. I’ll have to spend some time figuring out why that doesn’t fit.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Your Cable Casing may be the correct length and the internal cable may be correct but you may not have accounted for the old cable stretching.

You may need to adjust the tie rod between the (2) brake shoe levers to acheive the slack you need.

Front Brake Adjust.JPG

·
Registered
866 Posts
Some times after market cables can be a pain. You could probably hit it with some sandpaper to narrow it down a touch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I realize this thread is old, but mine is exactly the same way. The nut on the new cable end is a little too big to fit in the recess on the brake. It is slightly bigger than the original cable's nut. I had to file mine down to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts