Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a CL350 front fender will fit a CL450? There's a few 350 fenders on e-bay but no 450 ones right now.
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,164 Posts
I believe the problem would be the curvature... The 350 one is designed to fit an 18" wheel, the 450 has a 19 incher.... I would bet the height from axle of the mount points on the fork legs is a bit different, but perhaps some members would measure their forks for you.... I have a set of CB (disc type)360 sliders I can measure if it will help.... Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I wasn't aware that the CL350 used and 18" front wheel. That probably measn the 350 fender is a no go. Too bad cause there's lots of nice ones on e-bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of a 450 fender and a 350 one both off e-bay.

350


450


I think the distance from the bolt holes to the actual curved part of the fender is more on the 450 one. But they look so close I'm tempted to buy the 350 one and hope for the best. The 450 fender is at $77 and the 350 one is at $20. I've asked the seller of the 350 fender to take some measurement for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
I believe the problem would be the curvature... The 350 one is designed to fit an 18" wheel, the 450 has a 19 incher.... I would bet the height from axle of the mount points on the fork legs is a bit different, but perhaps some members would measure their forks for you.... I have a set of CB (disc type)360 sliders I can measure if it will help.... Steve
I don't know about '70's and later CL's but my '68 is a 19" front so I'll bet the CL fender would fit. The 68-69 CL 450's used a fender with the mounting braces.
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,164 Posts
I'm sure someone here has a CL450, and someone else has a 350...measurements of the braces might tell.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
66Sprint said:
I'm sure someone here has a CL450, and someone else has a 350...measurements of the braces might tell.....
Okay, I've got a 74' CL450K6 and I'll take some measurments soon as I can. Been busy getting my Dad settled in at an Assisted Living Home. Now, could I have some detail again about what measurements are needed? From the bolt holes to where?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
bill440cars said:
66Sprint said:
I'm sure someone here has a CL450, and someone else has a 350...measurements of the braces might tell.....
Okay, I've got a 74' CL450K6 and I'll take some measurments soon as I can. Been busy getting my Dad settled in at an Assisted Living Home. Now, could I have some detail again about what measurements are needed? From the bolt holes to where?
.....and I've got a '68 CL350 front fender laying on the garage floor as we speak. What measurements do you need? Bolt hold distance? 1/2 way between bolt hole and top of fender?
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,164 Posts
Front hole (center) to outside of fender curve (visually at top/center of fender) same for rear hole, Front hole on fork to centerline of axle, (the two "front" measurements added would give the radius of the fender arc, the rear compares hole height difference)

It can probably be fitted, ...I got an 18" wheel to fit and work on the front of the 90cc, which came with a 17" wheel.... But it's very close to touching the fender.... I think a few 350 CL's came with 19" front wheels, BUT its the height of the mount holes on the sliders that will determine fit or not on the 450.....
Arc radius of a 3.50x18 wheel/tire is 12.5"...arc radius of a 3.50x 19 is 13"... IF there's more than 1/2" clearance from fender to tire with original set up, and slider hole position/length from axle is the same on the 350 and 450, it should/can work....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have a 450 fender but it has a big crack in it. Matt, if you could measure your 350 fender the way Steve described that would be much appreciated.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Here is an annotated picture with the dimensions you asked for. I think this fender is off a '69 CL350 although it's the same as the one mounted on my '68 CL350. In looking at the pictures above of the 450/350 fenders the bolt holes look to be in different locations than the fender I have but that could be the lighting/angle.

Here you go.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Matt, those measurements are the same as my 450 fender. Could you also measure the width from the outside of 1 mounting ear to the other?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
johnnyc14 said:
Thanks Matt, those measurements are the same as my 450 fender. Could you also measure the width from the outside of 1 mounting ear to the other?
Your welcome. Outside to Outside is 4".

It's Mike btw. :)
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,164 Posts
Mike, Thank-you.... BUT we needed the measurement from the holes to the outside of the arc (eyeballed) at the center of the fender (looking straight down at the fender lying on its side)...You measured to the inside of the arc of the fender, but on the correct line vector....
HOWEVER, the pic does show the two mount holes as level or evenly spaced from the axle, and they are offset on the CB fork legs..... Obviously, this particular fender came off an externally sprung fork (pre-disc type)....The later CL's fenders might have the correct offset mount loops....
I see no reason so far it could not be made to work, but a sub-bracket or extra drilled hole might be required.... Or, one presumably could just remove the mount rivets, and bolt the actual fender part on the CB equivalent support loop/bracket....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Mike, Thank-you.... BUT we needed the measurement from the holes to the outside of the arc (eyeballed) at the center of the fender (looking straight down at the fender lying on its side)...You measured to the inside of the arc of the fender, but on the correct line vector....
HOWEVER, the pic does show the two mount holes as level or evenly spaced from the axle, and they are offset on the CB fork legs..... Obviously, this particular fender came off an externally sprung fork (pre-disc type)....The later CL's fenders might have the correct offset mount loops....
I see no reason so far it could not be made to work, but a sub-bracket or extra drilled hole might be required.... Or, one presumably could just remove the mount rivets, and bolt the actual fender part on the CB equivalent support loop/bracket....
Here is the same picture but inverted for clarity. The total distance to the outside of the fender is 6.5" from the front hole to the center of the fender (eyeballed) where the rivets are.

You're correct, this fender is off the 68 CL which had the outside springs and the two mounts holes are even. When I looked at your photo, I thought the holes looked offset.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MNellis said:
johnnyc14 said:
Thanks Matt, those measurements are the same as my 450 fender. Could you also measure the width from the outside of 1 mounting ear to the other?
Your welcome. Outside to Outside is 4".

It's Mike btw. :)
Thanks Mike, see I got it right this time!

My 450 fender measures 5.25" from outside of 1 ear to the other. I guess there's not the 350 fender will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
66Sprint said:
Mike, Thank-you.... BUT we needed the measurement from the holes to the outside of the arc (eyeballed) at the center of the fender (looking straight down at the fender lying on its side)...You measured to the inside of the arc of the fender, but on the correct line vector....
HOWEVER, the pic does show the two mount holes as level or evenly spaced from the axle, and they are offset on the CB fork legs..... Obviously, this particular fender came off an externally sprung fork (pre-disc type)....The later CL's fenders might have the correct offset mount loops....
I see no reason so far it could not be made to work, but a sub-bracket or extra drilled hole might be required.... Or, one presumably could just remove the mount rivets, and bolt the actual fender part on the CB equivalent support loop/bracket....
Thanks Steve, that's a good idea. I might buy the 350 fender and just drill out the rivets and use machine screws to attach it to my 450 bracket.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top