Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the top end put back together, The "L" on the upper cam sprocket is supposed to be at the top, looks very close to me, bottom is at "LT".
Everything spins ok until I put the cover on and torque the nuts, as i spin the engine it has a solid obstruction around the time the left side exhaust valve is open. I am assuming that I have interference between piston and exhaust valve. Any ideas???
I have taken everything apart and re done it 3 times and each time same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the manual.

Hpoe not I turned it pretty slow with the alternator nut so maybe it will be ok.

The manual says cam pin up and L on top. I also have LT on bottom, what could be the issue?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
trent1059 said:
I do have the manual.

Hpoe not I turned it pretty slow with the alternator nut so maybe it will be ok.

The manual says cam pin up and L on top. I also have LT on bottom, what could be the issue?
Is it possible that the valve has already been bent and is stuck open??

How about the tappet adjuster shafts - did you loosen the setting all the way before putting it back together??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, mark this one up to inexperiance. Had the cam sprocket reversed, turned it around and all is good now.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
trent1059 said:
Thanks for the help, mark this one up to inexperiance. Had the cam sprocket reversed, turned it around and all is good now.

Thanks again
I hope you've tested the valves by pouring acetone in the ports - I'd hate to hear that you put it all back together with a leak.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no leaks, used alcohol instead of acetone. will that make a difference?

Nothing really hit hard enough to bend anything, when the piston contacted the valve I stopped turning the alternator. Hope these valve are not that weak.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
trent1059 said:

Nothing really hit hard enough to bend anything, when the piston contacted the valve I stopped turning the alternator. Hope these valve are not that weak.
No, alcohol would work ok.
They do bend in a heartbeat, especially the larger intakes.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
tbpmusic said:
trent1059 said:

No, alcohol would work ok, just that it's mostly water..
They do bend in a heartbeat, especially the larger intakes.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts