Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my E-starter seems to have bit the dust, battery ok (load tested) cleaned all the connections including frame ground, just clicks and doesn't turn over, so I'm thinking dirty commutator or brushes and of course I'll have to pull side cover to get the starter out, been thinking of pulling the clutch side to clean oil pump screen so think I'll just order a set of allens for the side cases and do it all, already have the needed gaskets

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Jayel....
I've seen more problems with the solenoid contacts than the starter motors,
but I assume you jumped across the solenoid to eliminate that possibility...
Yeah...Just stating the obvious, but that's usually what gets overlooked...
No affront meant, I've bypassed the obvious myself (many times)....
I have a spare 350 starter motor if you need it or parts... Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I'm starting to have similar problems with mine but usually only after it sits for a couple of days. I kick start it and ride it for a few miles and it's fine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the battery voltage. I don't know how since the battery is new, but it seems to be losing some umph, over the course of a few days....but not always. Go figure.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well decided to do one final test... put a known good battery out of my 450 into it, half a rev and it was running, don't know why the cycleshop load tester didn't catch the bad battery but it was the battery, had my suspicions it was

·
Registered
785 Posts
jayel said:
don't know why the cycleshop load tester didn't catch the bad battery but it was the battery, had my suspicions it was
I don't know why I did not check the battery right away when I had electric start problesm on my 350. :roll:
Being the typical dumbass I can be, I changed the solenoid, starter motor brushes then the whole starter motor before I figured out the one week old battery was bad.
I also changed the wiring harness but, I just did that because the original had so much failing black tape covering bad splices, I had no choice.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts