Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do most of the work on my motorcycle myself, but rejetting the carbs is something I can never get right for some reason and have come to terms with the fact that I should have someone else do it.

I brought my bike to a shop and they said everything on my bike is pretty much set to go except the carbs which need rejetting (expected..). They want to charge $550 to do so. I was wondering if that's a reasonable price? I remember looking on dimecitycycles that some pre-jetted carbs are only 120 for each carb, so $240 (or so).

What would you guys do? Should I take the time and learn how to rejet my carbs (I want to at least still ride a bit during the fall season, I'm afraid learning will take forever)? Should I have them do it for $550? Or should I buy brand new pre-jetted carbs for ~$300?

Thanks for help in advance!

·
Registered
893 Posts
More information needed.

Are you running the stock air filters? stock exhaust? Are you are an extreme altitude? Electronic ignition or points, standard coils or high out put. The list goes on.

The shop wants that much because it is time consuming with the stock carbs.

There is nothing saying the carbs you purchase will be correct for your application.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You can do your own series of plug chops which will tell you where your jetting may be off and which way you need to go. It can be time consuming but it's not particularly difficult. If you search our site and/or the internet you can find plenty of discussions on how to go about it (of course they won't all agree). After you have a feel for what it's all about we can help you through the process. This assumes of course that your shop at least has it good enough to ride and that they have properly adjusted the idle mixtures and synchronized the carbs.

As mentioned above, new carbs will still at least need the plug chops to verify they are properly jetted, and they probably won't be.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If its a stock setup its very easy to get going. Maybe 25 dollars for new orings and cleaning solution and your there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts