Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have searched the forums but could not find any mention of this. I have the factory service manual that I am referencing for my '73 CL350 rebuild. While I was checking over some parts, I noticed the cam I pulled out is WAY over spec. The lobe diameter from the manual is 36.858-36.898mm with a service limit of 36.68mm. I mic'd each lobe of my cam and got: 39.738, 39.719, 39.705, 39.717. Misprint in the manual (shares a manual with CB250 - maybe that)? Spec is from the earlier models? Different (read: race :twisted:) cam? Idiot-behind-the-wheel? I looked throughout the manual and didn't see it referenced anywhere else, and the Clymer's manual doesn't mention a spec.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, there's a reason to use the Clymer as a beer coaster... I'm not that knowledgeable on the little differences in the 350, but there have been 2 different cams commonly used in the 350 over the years and you might have one of the older ones... or it is possible that someone put a high-performance cam in it too, these things have been around a very long time and God knows what has been done to them. The 350 crowd will know more than I do, they'll be along...

·
Registered
893 Posts
The FSM lists the cam lobe specs for the original Fat Cams and not the later Skinny cam that you would have in the 1973.

Basically if they don't look worn, grooved, burnt etc they are good to go. The numbers you have look close to what I've measured in the past.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have a hard copy and an e-copy of the FSM and they both read the same. Surprising Honda didn't pick up on that. The cam looks in pretty good shape (no scoring/pitting) with some light wear on it. Back in she will go...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts