Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike idling good, so I took it out of my comfort zone (i.e 2 mile radius from the house :lol: ) so its running pretty good and then it just bogs down on me. I try the electric start and nothing than I kick it over and she fires up? :eek: Shes running like a raped ape, get about a mile closer to home and she bogs down again. Here we go again, I make sure nothings loose, check plug wires and gas lines and she fires up with kickstart only. Finally get home and shes idling fine!? WTH!! I run her up and down the street and shes boggin down so I coast back home and put her up for the night. I guess I need to invest in a manual!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check the fuel flow to the carbs. Motor running: uses up the fuel in the float bowls. Motor stops: trickle of fuel refills bowls. Motor starts up again. There might be enough fuel coming in to maintain an idle but not running under load. I don't remember what the 350 fuel valve is like; the 450 has a tiny sediment bowl under it, and the pickup screen in the tank can get clogged up. Sometimes the valve has to be taken apart and cleaned, and sediment can accumulate in the float valves.

·
Registered
608 Posts
KERRY said:
Check the fuel flow to the carbs. Motor running: uses up the fuel in the float bowls. Motor stops: trickle of fuel refills bowls. Motor starts up again. There might be enough fuel coming in to maintain an idle but not running under load. I don't remember what the 350 fuel valve is like; the 450 has a tiny sediment bowl under it, and the pickup screen in the tank can get clogged up. Sometimes the valve has to be taken apart and cleaned, and sediment can accumulate in the float valves.
and unless you have fuel line filters on there will be crud in your float bowls (carbs) drop the bowls and clean them too

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Could be the vent in the fuel cap being plugged also and slowing down fuel flow until it sits a minute or two.
Don

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Good thinking Don. That's another thing to check. He can check that simple enough while on the road too.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the bike out for a spin after being on a battery charger overnight and it seems to be running fine. I didnt ride real long though, so maybe after warming up she might act differently. Could the added stress of the halogen retrofit be killing my battery causing it to run rough? Hmmm.... :twisted:

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
You have a nominally 12 amp system...... the 100W Halogen draws OVER 8.3 amps...Doesn't leave much for running the engine, signals, and brake/taillight....IF you e-start, your battery is already partially discharged, and will take miles of high speed riding to recharge....... The charging systems on these bikes are marginal at best....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anything I can do to "beef up" the system? I was thinking of doing an LED conversion on my tail light and maybe just doing away with the speedo and tach light all together. Any ideas?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Hondas have a "boost" charge connection made when the high beam is lit.... If you wired your halogen into the low side, it probably isn't making that connection....
CURE: Got to where the alternator leads plug into the main harness.... Run a jumper from the White wire to the Yellow wire.. Tape it up.... Your bike is now in permanent "overcharge mode" which might compensate for the halogen's extra usage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts