Honda Twins banner

Keep stock or not?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CL200 scrambler project

Edit: as the goals of this project changed, the thread of the title has too. The stock-ish restoration morphed into more of a brat-style scrambler street tracker thing. Thanks for all the input!

Ok gents, for this project I will need your input. You are wiser than I, smarter, and better looking I'm sure ;)

What we have here is a 1974 CL200 in pretty good condition. I think I would like to modify a few things, but I don't want to ruin a "survivor" and I don't think this will be the only jockey rocket I'll ever own so I may one day sell it. So tell me what I should do as I document the process in this thread.

First up, some pics. Here it is as I bought it:

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: CL200 survivor restoration project - YOU get to design!!

Alright, here are the handlebars I bought. Pretty sure they're going on, just want to get your guys opinion. They're "superbike" bars from z1enterprises

And the new tail light I'm *thinking* about ordering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Re: CL200 stock-ish restoration project - YOU get to design!

It is your bike and you can do what you like with it :)

If this was mine I would keep it stock as it is in good condition and complete. At most I would change handlebars and taillight etc, but keep all those parts stored away as to enable an easy change back to stock.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

When I bought the bike, the rubber boots from the airfilters to the carbs where all busted up and letting unfiltered air through and leaning out the engine. So I ordered some pod filters and new main jets for the carbs. The pod filters couldn't mount directly on the carbs because the frame was in the way, so I used radiator hose.

Unfortunately, during the removal of the side panels, something bad happened. The right side panel, the one that's behind the exhaust, broke when it was pulled off. I fixed it by applying fiberglass tape and epoxy that's made for plastic to the inside. However, another unfortunate thing happened during this process. I tried to use carb cleaner to clean off the grime so the epoxy would stick, BAD IDEA!! It like dissolved the plastic and the paint ($&#@!!). Once it evaporated away the plastic hardened again but the paint on the other side was all smeared. I ran to autozone and found some dupli-color scratch repair paint that was a pretty good color match (for any CL200 owner reading this, the label says GM 43, WA 9796, 243a bright aqua (m) agm 0440). It turned out alright I guess but now the bike's not flawless anymore :(

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And the woes don't stop there.

All of that work required taking the exhaust off. This exposed the shitty repair job by the previous owner :x . In place of the studs for bolting the exhaust to the engine were rusty bolts with THE WRONG THREAD SIZE :evil: :evil: :evil: and the exhaust gaskets where missing (those are asbestos from what I read, so no big loss)

What should I do?

What should I use in place of the missing gaskets?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

That's why I use carb cleaner to remove old gaskets it melts everything
The exhaust gasket is still available but be sure the old ones out ( they end up looking like part of the head )
You will need to drill and tap the head ( timesert or similar? ) to put stock mounts back on

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for everyone's input so far! It's 50/50 at the moment, between keeping it stock and keeping it "stock-ish".

I like the idea of keeping it all stock, but mainly for the resale value and to preserve a rare bike that's in great condition (not excellent condition, but pretty good). If not for those two things then I would customize the crap out of it. I'm not hearing any pleas for me to keep it all original. I mean, it's not a show winner or anything, and if keep the original parts then I can go back to stock unless I mess something up..

The muffler has a big hole in the bottom from rust and all the exhaust leaks out the bottom (it sounds kinda cool though :cool: ). Thinking about putting on a new muffler, but no way am I going to find a NOS one in my price range. There's also a lot of rust on the headers and I like the idea of wrapping white exhaust wrap around them...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Today I polished the crank case. Both sides had this clear paint that had yellowed over time and worn away in the typical were spots, leaving a nasty combination of yellowish **** and dark aluminum rust.

First I used a dremal with an abrasive grinding tool to remove all that I could. Then I used a slightly less abrasive dremal bit to remove the scratches that the first one had made. Then I used #1 steel wool, followed by this stuff called Nevr-Dull by Eagle One. It's a "wadding polish" that contains a polishing compound. It worked great on the aluminum! Gave it a uniform grey color, where before it was more shiney but in an uneven way. Finally, I applied a coat of turtle wax to keep it from rusting again. My understanding is that the factory paint was put there to prevent rust, but wax does the same job - except that it has to be applied every year or so, which most people won't do.

A few observations I made during this process:
  • Polishing the crank case with it still on the bike is hard. There will be spots that you can't get to because something, i.e. the kickstarter and foot peg, will be in the way.[/*:m:3fvef1yd]
  • When there are portions that are missed because you can't get to them, then it makes it look amateur-ish. [/*:m:3fvef1yd]
  • It leaves dust all over the bike (except the part your polishing of course) but it's easily removed with a leaf blower or just riding it really fast :cool: [/*:m:3fvef1yd]
  • All those damn dremal bits wear down so fast! And they're so overpriced, it's maddening :evil: [/*:m:3fvef1yd]

Overall it looks great, and now I need to do the other side, the forks, and the wheel hubs.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

What are your thoughts on bar-end mirrors on a cycle like this?

Side note: I've been reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Great read!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts

A lot of the questions you are asking really come down to personal preference. I can appreciate wanting some input on how things look or garnering ideas from what others have done, but if this is a bike you intend to ride and keep, ultimately the ideas should be what YOU want out of it. If it's something you intend to fix up, make pretty and sell, then yeah I could see maybe having a bunch of internet opinions, still not terribly creative, buy hey it's your party.

In regards to your question about bar end mirrors, I plan on putting them on my CB200T, but only because I can't use the stalk mirrors that came stock. They are out of necessity rather than choice. I think they will look okay though, but I really wanted to keep a stock appearance with mine. The use of bar ends will make that not possible.

Again, your bike, your choice, but I think it looks great the way it is. I like how you cleaned up the engine case, it looks nice. The blue paint looks wonderful and the whole bike looks pretty clean.

Enjoy working on it, just think about what it will look like in pictures 20 years down the road when you are making decisions. Is it going to look like your parents wedding pictures when they were all wearing nylon purple suits? Or will it look timeless and classy? Just my opinions, but you asked ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks! Well the reason I asked is because I kinda thought people would come out and say "No! Don't you dare modify that incredibly rare and super gorgeous machine!!" haha

Also, help me out with some newb questions :) here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27704&p=213488#p213488

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Going through the checklist and it's time to clean the centrifuge oil filter. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS :x :x :evil: What was going to be a tranquil, contemplative eventing in the garage has turned into a stressful two or three evenings.

After removing the clutch cover, which included two stripped bolts by the previous mechanic/amateur, removing the kick start lever and foot peg stand, and draining the oil (not necessarily in that order)... I find that the oil filter cap is not coming off.

There are two little aluminum tabs molded to the filter cap you're supposed to pull on to get the it to come off. The last guy who tried ripped both tabs off and there is no way to pry it off. Judging by how black my oil is after only 150 miles, he probably gave up and it's full of sludge. Great! The tabs are also not aligned with the alignment notch like it should be.

Any advice??

I found this pointer: http://www.thecampervanchronicles.de/Ho ... rising.htm (middle of the page). can anyone add more detail other than "Screw M8 bolt into cap. The cap should then come outwards." ?

Think I'll go read a few more chapters of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to clear my head....

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts

There is an M6 phillips head down in the center hole....remove it and screw a long 8mm bolt in....The cap will lift off as you continue to tighten the 8mm in....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

thanks very much guys. the service manual just says to pull it out with pliers and says nothing about the phillips head bolt.

I needed a M8x1.25 bolt and not M8x1.0 (maybe I can vicariously save myself a second trip to the hardware store through an informed reader). I did buy a hardened steel bolt to prevent it from breaking off inside the engine, but it turns out I didn't need to torque it very hard. Once it was screwed all the way through and hit the crank shaft the oil filter cap began pulling out right away.

It wasn't full of crud, but it did need to be cleaned. I'm still concerned about how dirty the oil was after only 150 miles after I changed it when I first bought the bike. There was also some metal shavings I found in the oil pan :shock: :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

CB200T75 said:
PM me for a new oring to put on your cap. I have several as I just went through this...only with more frustration and expense.
Thanks! Bu the o-ring looked good. Looked like it was replaced by the previous owner (at least he did something right! I see this turning into a running joke, haha)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The headache continues...

I broke the gasket between the crankcase and the cover, I tried to fix it with "Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker", but now - after adding new oil - there's a large puddle of oil under the bike.

I guess I have to order a new gasket (unless I can use hondabond??)

1 - 20 of 141 Posts