·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Today I just threw on a new seat cover that I bought here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/160662125778
I'm happy with it. Was a little bit of a challenge to get it on. Next time will be better, but I made it look ok.

Before with significant tear and paint splotches near logo:
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg

After (I used some Aerospace 303 spray to prepare it for a bit of sun this summer too):
IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Careful observers will notice that the logo is higher than it should be - my only complaint about this cover.

One may also notice that the little metal "buttons" are not lining the sides. I'll get to it! Just need to find new ones because the old ones were rusted.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
No worries - it looks good, and since three-quarters of those alive today were not around when these bikes were new, no one will even notice. As Grandma used to say, "a man on a galloping horse would never notice, and a blind man would be happy to see it" :D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Dude, I agonize over little stuff on my 450 even now after it's "finished", so I know the feeling of "maybe I could have done that a little better"... but at some point you have to realize that most people looking at it will never see the tiny things that you know exactly where they are (but don't point them out). I have an old friend/former co-worker who does custom/vintage cars, and he's worse than both of us... he'll point out something small that he knows about and has always bugged him, and I tell him the same thing - stopitalready! :lol:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man, yes the feeling is mutual. I have tried to keep it a goal in both this bike and the 450 to keep with the most functional repairs and upgrades. Like a beautifully running engine, new brake shoes, cables etc. But the more I work and time I have in these bikes, the more I find myself reaching for the chrome polish. hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
One may also notice that the little metal "buttons" are not lining the sides. I'll get to it! Just need to find new ones because the old ones were rusted.
I had the same issue. I replaced them with some M6 button head stainless screws and washers, which I think look OK.

buttons.jpg

·
Registered
725 Posts
Careful observers will notice that the logo is higher than it should be - my only complaint about this cover.

The curse of working with your hands is that although it may be astounding to others you will always be able to find fault with your work. Harry Sherry is one of the worlds great car restorers, Pebble Beach winners, the "Rainman" Buick was his. Years ago he said (paraphrasing) "he wouldn't stop restoring cars until he got one right". He has now been at it 50 years and although he thrills customers and astounds judges I'l bet he still hasn't sent one out the door he is completely satisfied with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like the look of that, actually, Richard. Readily available and effective!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replacing broken RH brake/lights assembly. Bought the new part for this bike, I paid extra to get silver because my untrained eye thought that the greyish color of the old assembly was from oxidation. Now I know it was actually just the faded black paint. Wish I had gotten the $50 black assembly instead of the aluminum. The aluminum looks cool but it was missing some key elements (even with the same part number, watch out!):
IMG_0384.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's where the brake light switch goes.

Luckily I found a drill bit that fit exactly. After some careful drilling, I came out with the following.
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg

Works well!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another hic-up, this natural metal must have been for a dirt bike or something (I'm sure someone here knows), because while internally everything is present for the horn, there isn't an actually hole through the plate for it to go. Looks like I'll be doing some more drilling.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also don't want to deal with rerouting my cables through the handlebar (if that is even possible) or having to make yet another hole in the assembly to route them out of the RH handlebar assembly to the headlight and have them be exposed to air and water. My solution is just to reuse the existing top piece. I'll post a picture if my words aren't clear...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the size of these little bolts that hold the switches in place?
I measured the major diameter at 2.86mm, which is .01 mm smaller than the minimum allowed major diameter of a M3x.05 bolt (which is incidentally the smallest tap I currently own). I'm using as a reference this table: https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/metric-external-thread-sizes1.htm
On that table, the next smallest range of values for a metric bolt is 2.580mm and 2.480mm which is much smaller than my 2.86 mm!

IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to know this because the recession that allows for the horn switch to be fastened isn't tapped in my new handlebar plate!

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
That's NOT the horn, it is the starter button.....(Yellow/Red stripe wire gives it away...) The assembly looks correct: a thin pin on the inside of the button travels through a hole in the bracket (the bit held by the screw) and touches the brass button on the insulating fibre plate to which the wire is soldered... Ground contact is through the brass pin in the button and its spring to the bracket which is grounded to the handlebars

Also note that (refer to your image 0384) the aluminum color piece has a curved indented area whereas the black broken piece is solid and flat....... Drilling that large a hole in the shiny bracket has seriously weakened it (and it's a casting, not forged)... I'll be surprised if the altered one survives many usages of the front brake.... There is a reason the engineers reinforced that area on units employing the front brake switch....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's NOT the horn, it is the starter button......
I'll be surprised if the altered one survives many usages of the front brake.... There is a reason the engineers reinforced that area on units employing the front brake switch....
Right! And shoot... I was worried about that.

Any idea about the size of the bolt?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts