Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My '71 (K5) CL175 has a non-working speedo. I checked the cable and it's ok. I also put the inner cable into the speedo and ran it up to speed with a drill with no luck. The gauges are in good shape cosmetically and I'd really like to keep them original to the bike. Anyone have any luck getting the plastic case off a CL175 open? I'm sure the plastic is quite brittle and I'm afraid of wrecking the case if I just pry it off the metal back plate. I was thinking of trying a heat gun to hopefully warm & soften things a bit before trying to pry them apart.

Any thought? Thanks for your help guys!!

David B

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
You probably know this, but it caught me out.

When using a cordless drill to test the speedo or rev counter, remember to run it in reverse, anti clockwise.

I've dismantled a couple of speedos, and I just cut the chrome band, rather than trying to uncrimp it. Done in the right place, cut can be hidden when clock is reassembled. I had my speedo apart to set it back to zero miles, after a full rebuild. ( Not trying to defraud anyone, records kept of original mileage, even if that could be verified after 40+ years).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pointers guys. Yep, that's where I was gently prying, Simo. It's tough to fault 46 year old plastic for not wanting to budge.

I may have gotten lucky though. After a few shots of compressed air into the light bulb opening, the gauge is now grudgingly working. It takes a moment or two but after a few seconds with the drill running it comes to life. I suppose the compressed air was enough to free up whatever was binding. I'll take it. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :)

Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Auto part Tool

Auto part Floor Flooring Wood Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
1971 CL175 K5
13 Posts
Hey there,
I’m not trying to hijack this old thread, but what did you end up replacing the plastic ring with once the speedo was open? Mine isn’t going to come out in one piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts