Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The points cover will not fit on my 1973 CL175 I am not sure it is the correct cover since it appears slightly smaller than the casting on the cylinder head.

This is how I got the bike, should the condenser be fitted here?
I haven't checked the ignition timing yet but does the points base plate seem to be in about the correct position because the wiring bolt appears to foul on the cover. The cover has an indent above the spark plug to give some clearance.

Someone appears to have tried to remove a little of the inside judging by scraping marks to give more clearance, not a very good attempt though.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The plate/points are close, but that isn't a stock capacitor... The stock one mounts on a cylinder stud.... I'll scan a pic and add it in in a minute....

This is actually a CB 200, but the plates are virtually the same set-up.... Note capacitor on front stud (upper left in pic)....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, can I get a condenser from a Honda dealer or pattern one from somewhere or do I try to get a used one? I have looked and there is a washer missing from one of the cover nuts so that is probably where it is missing from. Still need to remove gas tank to check wiring loom for connection plug.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The condenser is the "bridge" between the points and the coil , It has two wires, one to each....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry :oops: , yes I'm aware of what a condenser is, it's actually a capacitor and wired in parallel across points to stop arcing when points open. Just needed to know where is best place to obtain the correct one, I may even adapt the one I have just to try to get it started before I return to England again in just over 2 weeks.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Malcolm... No.. I meant literally... It connects the wires from the coil and the points (acts as the physical jumper as well as an electrical one).... It is wired electrically parallel (to the points), but the two positive terminal wires on the condensor are the series connection the between points and coil.... one goes down to the point wire, one goes up to the coil negative wire..... Part # 1 in the drawing...Note the two wires, one with male end, one with female connector.....
No reason you couldn't solder the one you have similarly....And any chassis ground will suffice....

.... I've got to learn to explain the pictures in my brain more explicitly.....
Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Steve understood now, so the male/female will have been connected under gas tank to bypass the standard setup and the condenser fitted in the conventional way, good job I bought my multimeter with me. So back to my original question where do I get the correct condenser from?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Nearest Honda shop... The CB CL 200's used a similar set-up.... I'd just solder wires on the one you have.... (I haven't checked IF they're available anymore, and only have the 1968 Sloper 175 part number, but it's a place to start....30280-235-000)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Steve & Bill I already had part# from Western Hills parts fiche although their price is a little higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts