Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 CL175 K7 the muffler has a hole in it, seems a common problem :( does anyone know if there are major differences across the years as the part number appears to change a bit also the heat shield design differs too, my shields are good so only issue is mounting them.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
The pipes from any year "vertical" 175 twin will fit as a unit, the principle difference being the heat shields "look"....."Sloper" 175 pipes won't fit, the port angle is different.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks for that, I have now done a comparison of all part numbers from 68 -73 (K0 - K7) and see the left pipe hardly changed but the right and heat shields did, I can post my findings if of use.
Which year was the sloper engine fitted and was that the 'T' bone pressed steel frame.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
The 175 "T" frame was a Europe only model (I think), Unless you count the CD...
The 68/69 CL 175 K0 had a frame 99% identical to the CB/CL 160's, and was available in both US and Canada...(sloper engine)
The 69 CL175 K3 had the pressed backbone/seat area, partly tubular, full cradle frame and a Vert engine.....

Confused yet?.....Pics available here...
http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0175/scr ... ram175.htm

Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link Steve, a great timeline. I hadn't realised you didn't get the 'T' bone frame in the US.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Unfortunately, we didn't get a lot of "neat" versions of some bikes.....During that time period, the Japanese seemed to try to "tailor" the models to a specific market (based on what they thought that market wanted).....Still do I think.....Some models I'd like to have been able to purchase were never offered here.....
We ought to form an import/export company: Vintage Vehicle Variations (or Variants) and use a V cubed logo.....

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Seems to me that "back in the day" we sawed off the CL 175's muffler and used VolksWagen (old type) beetle resonator (muffler) tips, one in each pipe...Looked more like a CL72 exhaust, and sounded like a bigger bike....LOL....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66Sprint said:
Unfortunately, we didn't get a lot of "neat" versions of some bikes.....During that time period, the Japanese seemed to try to "tailor" the models to a specific market (based on what they thought that market wanted).....Still do I think.....Some models I'd like to have been able to purchase were never offered here.....
We ought to form an import/export company: Vintage Vehicle Variations (or Variants) and use a V cubed logo.....
Yes but you got the 'Street Scrambler' I have admired the style since the 60's and now I have one :)
Is the Aermacchi in the avatar yours or a dream?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I have quite a few Aermacchi/Harley Sprints, but most are apart awaiting restorations....
My avatar is a full race CRTT, ( NOT mine, but how I'd like to build one of mine....)...Just an "inspiration"....
The one I am currently "tinkering" with has a 250 frame with a 350 engine (early cases with later style top end)...If only I had the time and money......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts