Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all:
I need advice from one of you that's been through the disassemly of their Honda CL175 kick start lever (likely similar to most all displacement Honda Twins).
I'd like to replace the top folding lever/rubber. How do you release or remove it from the arm itself? I see a washer, and underneath that an open spiral washer/spacer that sits on top of the lever. Do you press the top washer down, which may release some type of hidden/captive holding ring? Must be simple way top do this, but I'm not seeing it yet!
If it matters, my bike is specifically a 1971 CL175K5 model.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I don't think you can remove the arm. When they built it they installed the arm, the spring, the washer then so of rivited it by mashing/pressing on the shaft. That doesn't mean it can't be removed and modified though.

If it was me, I'd take a grinder and grind the top mushroom part of to let the washer and spring go free. To re-install it, I'd then drill and tap a hole (6mm sounds good) then use a bolt and fender washer to contain the spring and shaft. Use some Locktite to hold the bolt since the spring loading will put more pressure on it and try to let it back out.

Do you just want to remove/replace the rubber? If that's the case, just cut the old rubber piece off, spray some ArmourAll inside the new rubber and slide it on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, if that's the case, why do they sell a replacement arm by itself? I already have one: a nos oem Honda part in the wrapper. The rubber is the easy part. I'm doing this because the chrome is bad on mine and I wanted to upgrade.

Update: I just did a quick check of the parts fiche, and guess what? There's a hidden clip in there holding things in place- the arm is not riveted or staked on to the kickstart lever. So, my question is how to best force the spring and washer down, allowing access to the hidden clip? It's kind of tricky, and I don't want to hack up the parts, especially when reassembling. Somebody must have done this before...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Compress and reveal the retaining spring-ring.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success.
Steve, I think you posted up accurate and helpful advice just as I was editing my post to reflect what I'd found.

It's a little tricky to compress the washer/spring and then remove the captive little clip, but a good sturdy vice helps. Technique was to compress the washer with the tip of a flat blade screwdriver, then hook one open end of the clip with a 90 degree pick, and work it around and up, releasing it. It's one of those fun vintage Honda puzzles that you occasionally run across! :?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Glad it verified your thoughts, although too late.... :D
....It always feels good to solve the puzzles.... Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Opps, guess I was wrong on that one. That's what my 350 looked like but I see there is a clip on mine as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts