Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pick up this CL175 with title, sort of running, for a girlfriend of mine. Plan is to get it running and safe and sell it to her for cheap.

Anyways it's got this manual disc brake front end which I think is from a one-year CB125. I've heard this brake is bad and I should find an alternative. It'd be nice to switch to hydraulic if possible. It also has a weird hub on the rear wheel that looks like a hybrid front and back hub, it has the cable stay but also the arm for the hub arrestor... is this from an earlier bike that used a cable for the rear brake?

Please see below for photos sent to me by the seller.

https://imgur.com/a/b2D5dgO

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Cable operated disk brakes came on cb/cl200's and cb125's from 1974-1979.
Your Front brake/forks/hub/wheel are from a cb200 ( you can tell from the fork leg
Rear hub/wheel are from a cb160
Nothing wrong with the front brake if it's set right ( it's no worse than a drum)
26QMM2l_d.jpg wRa0hWP_d.jpg
To get the front end from the cb200 to work it will also have cb200 triple tree
My guess is Po was planning a Cafe conversion but stopped ( cable operated rear means it's easier to put rearset on without a horrible bent brake rod)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks! very informative. My friend who has some experience building bikes said that the manual disc was useless, he said you can pull it in and walk the bike forward! And to be fair the seller has also said that the brake is no good. Do you have any suggestions on how to make this brake perform the best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If the manual disk were this bad
My friend who has some experience building bikes said that the manual disc was useless, he said you can pull it in and walk the bike forward!
you wouldn't EVER see a cb200 all of them would have been in some type of accident. (rear ending cars or sailing through stop signs)
The manual disk is as good as the 160mm drum brake they replaced (early cb200) with the added advantage of no brake fade ( the major issue with drums)
The manual disk float on a pin , if the pin sticks they don't work. They're fiddly to set up compared to a drum ( which is one of the reasons they get a bad rap)
Cb200t75 did a hydraulic swap a few years ago with a two pot chinese scooter parts and a hand cut mount, or you could swap in a cb/cl175 or cb350 front drum if your looking for a bolt on change

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Back in the day, my mate Spaz accidentally did a brilliant stoppie on his new CB200, I thought he was going to completely loop it but he just managed to get it back under control. Nothing wrong with his cable operated disk brake, he just pulled the lever too hard !

Not sure I understand this bit. I've just fitted K4 forks to a K7 frame, using a CB200 bottom yoke and spindle, with a CB175K4 top yoke, all parts dimensionally the same.

EDIT Ah, now I understand, K7 and Cb200 top yoke is different, K7 / CB200 fork legs pull through the yokes and are clamped in the yoke, rather than the earlier forks which are just held by the fork top bolts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have two cb200’s, one with the disk and the other drum. I much prefer the feel of the drum brake. Both are good at stopping the bike but the drum set up seems to transfer the energy from a pull on the lever more efficiently in my opinion. With this in mind I’m going to convert my disk bike into a drum one. Parts are not easy to find in the UK but cl200 parts are readily available in the USA. I’ve had a hub and brake plate sent over and as we speak a wheel is being built in the foothills of the Pennines. If the owner of the establishment will permit me to take photos of it when I return to pick it up, I’ll post them up. It’s like you have been transported back in time. Either way I’ll post up a project thread when I pull it together. One thing I’m not sure of yet is the mudguard. I have a few options to go at which I’ll share. Regards, Russ.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cable operated disk brakes came on cb/cl200's and cb125's from 1974-1979.
Your Front brake/forks/hub/wheel are from a cb200 ( you can tell from the fork leg
Rear hub/wheel are from a cb160
Nothing wrong with the front brake if it's set right ( it's no worse than a drum)
View attachment 266058 View attachment 266060
My guess is Po was planning a Cafe conversion but stopped ( cable operated rear means it's easier to put rearset on without a horrible bent brake rod)
I wonder, if they intentionally used the rear hub, then why not use the cable? Maybe they never finished it / got the parts, and just said screw it?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I have two cb200’s, one with the disk and the other drum. I much prefer the feel of the drum brake. Both are good at stopping the bike but the drum set up seems to transfer the energy from a pull on the lever more efficiently in my opinion. With this in mind I’m going to convert my disk bike into a drum one. Parts are not easy to find in the UK but cl200 parts are readily available in the USA. I’ve had a hub and brake plate sent over and as we speak a wheel is being built in the foothills of the Pennines. If the owner of the establishment will permit me to take photos of it when I return to pick it up, I’ll post them up. It’s like you have been transported back in time. Either way I’ll post up a project thread when I pull it together. One thing I’m not sure of yet is the mudguard. I have a few options to go at which I’ll share. Regards, Russ.
This sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing this in detail.

You'll need the right hand switchgear with the lever perch for the drum front brake, or is the same part used on the disk braked bike ?

What's the issue with the mudguard ( fender :grin: ), is it a different part, as above ?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi Richard. The lever perches are exactly the same thankfully. As I understand it, there are two different part numbers for the cb200 but this is to do with the variation of internal electrics of different export models rather than the mechanics of braking.The design change starts with differerent brake cables. The mudguard issue is an interesting one. The drum brake model and the disk brake model have the speedometer cables running down different sides of the wheel, with two steel loops on the stays to secure them through. One loop is external to the stay and one internal. I’ve a few choices to make on this and one cunning idea that might work for me too. I’m determined to get up and running with this little project within the next couple of days. Rather than hijack this thread I’ll kick of a new one (with pictures ) and post a link to it on this one when I get going. Regards, Russ.

**Update**

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1...y-cb200-disk-drum-conversion.html#post1013752

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up the bike in Portland this weekend. It was on the way to the coast to go surfing so I crammed it in there...

IMG_7119.jpg
IMG_7115.jpg

Previous owner said that the bike had oil contamination, which I confirmed. He also said that he had it running and tried going up a hill and it died. I pulled the carbs last night and confirmed that one was bone dry. Hopefully this one will be a quick fix and easy turnaround! I started taking it down last night. Looks like all it needs is some carb work, tuneup, a new ignition, seat cover, and other cosmetic items.

IMG_7126.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I made an update to this post with more photos after taking possession of the bike. However I can't see the post. Please let me know if I need to post the photos again.

edit: oh - there it is.

I have more questions about parts. The seat seems wrong, I have no idea what it's from but I have the same bike and the seats are very different. I went ahead and bought the cheap $30 seat cover that is the correct pattern. I will just deal with the slightly different shaped foam on this one.

As for the headlight the actual sealed beam looks like the right size but the bucket and mounting ring are too large. Does anyone have any ideas on what bike the headlight bucket may be off of? cb200? It is the same style, painted black. I will disassmble soon to get a better look at it. I want my new battery and ignition to come first so that I can test the lights.

Oh, and for the brake pads on the front, are the same as the hydraulic version?\

Oh I also had another question, is there a known DIY fix for if the rubber manifolds to the carbs are busted? I'm talking about the long ones that are part of the air filter assemblage. One of mine is beyond repair I think.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got to work on the bike today. Changed oil, tensioned chain, adjusted rear the brake. Did a heli coil on one of the exhaust studs. Also got some hose to fix the air filter manifolds. I planned to set the float height tonight but we'll see.

I got the front brake apart. It was barely bolted on (finger tight). I took it apart and was pretty dumbfounded by the parts inside. They're all there but I have no idea who they work. I'm not sure they were even installed correctly or all the way. Should I be able to pull the pad out once the mechanism that compresses it is removed? I tried but it seemed pretty stuck in there. I can post some photos tomorrow.

In the mean time I was hoping someone could me source new pads (in case I need them). I found a part on cmsnl but I would rather get a set from 4into1 because I will be ordering my parts lot. I don't know how to cross reference the pad size from one brand/type to another, though.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb200b-1974-usa_model1005/pad-set-brake-sbs_06455351315p/#.W80fkhNKib8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts