Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get fork seals for my K7 CL175, the parts fische shows 2 seals per leg, I assume the top one is a dust seal, do I replace them both, the kits only seem to show 1 seal, has anyone used seals from a local engineering supplier just using the size of the seal?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Malcolm, The one above the snap ring is a dust "wiper"... Unless it is destroyed, the old one usually works fine as it is also protected by the gaiters and metal "cap".... also, the wiper seal has been discontinuued..... Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to resurect this thread but should I get a Genuine Honda seal or is it ok to use a seal of the correct size (31x43x10) from a local engineering shop?

·
Registered
785 Posts
malcolmgb said:
Sorry to resurect this thread but should I get a Genuine Honda seal or is it ok to use a seal of the correct size (31x43x10) from a local engineering shop?
When I bought aftermarket fork seals for the 175 I was fixing for one of my customer's the seals did not fit, they were too big. The same thing happened on my CL350, aftermarket fork seals did not fit.
Honda had my seals the next day and they are dirt cheap too, $7.00 or $9.00 a piece or some cheap price like that.
Only use OEM Honda parts when it can be afforded.
Do it right the 1st time with Honda parts.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Y'know, I've wondered about that too.

On several bikes, I've replaced bearings that were marked with generic sizes - AA x BB x CC (ID x OD x thickness). On a few I ordered the factory bearings, but on one (a Hodaka), I ordered bearings from a bearing house. All worked perfectly!

But, I never ordered any of the seals from other than an OEM, or an aftermarket supplier specifically meant for that motor/that application. Never ordered a 'generic' seal, but I was wondering...

Generally, I guess I'd go with Ray's advice and go with the OEM, when feasible. But, its always nice to develop alternate sources for those times when OEM part is discontinued or even out of business!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi. what is the actual exact measurement of fork seals for '70 cl175?
where can i get them? pleeez.
thank you. i like this forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts