Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike in question is a 1971 CL175K5, doing fork seals and new tubes from Frank's. I've successfully removed (using a hand impact- no problem) the phillips screws underneath that hold the damper rods. When I reassemble, what type of sealer in used for these screws? Doesn't seem to be a copper washer up inside, but there did appear to be a hardening sealer used on the threads. What's the best way to seal these up- experience has taught me to pay attention there, or they end up leaking soon after reassembly. Want to do this right the first time! :cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoa- after disassembling these forks, I admit it's time to buy a shop manual for this bike. These forks are unlike any I've dealt with before, very unconventional design. No removeable upper cap for one, for easy spring removal. :x

I got them apart by removing the damper rod phillips on the bottoms first, then the snap ring holding the fork seal in place. With the spring still held internally captive by design, the question was how to separate the slider from the tube. What I did was compress and "bounce" the tube a few times, pulling up hard so that the seal would be popped out. This did work, but the question becomes how to re-assemble them? Has somebody done this recently and have practical advice? :?:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'll try to post a schematic drawing/ basic instructions for you......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Here's the exploded diagram.... As you can see, it was NOT necessary to remove the damper (or phillips bolt)... Re-install using "Hondabond" or similar sealant under the bolt head.....

The damping rod wasn't sold as a separate part, it came installed in the slider.... I use a length of plastic pipe (PVC schedule 40) to drive in the seals.... Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, Steve. I realize the phillips damper rod screws were not required to be removed first, but I always do so anyway- less likely to spin the damper rod. I guess I'll reassemble when ready, compress the springs/tubes, and have a helper drive the seals in as suggested and try to get the seal retaining snap ring in at the same time. This is a really strangely designed fork that goes against conventional and accepted ways of assembly. :? I didn't expect it- are CB/CL350 forks the same? Hope somebody else can chime in with more experience and advice.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, the early CB/CL 350 (and 450) forks use a similar set-up.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, sort of, Steve.
Early 450's had forks with external springs (K2 and lower).
I think early 350's did also.
They were both a PIB to deal with, for sure.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yep....I meant the pistons, slider valving , circlips/snap-rings parts..... The PIB stuff...LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The worst part that complicates maintenance is not having a removeable fork cap on the top. Was somebody worried about fork springs flying out by accident? Showa, like Honda itself, sometimes just does things completely differently- because they can! :roll:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
sandman said:
The worst part that complicates maintenance is not having a removeable fork cap on the top. Was somebody worried about fork springs flying out by accident? Showa, like Honda itself, sometimes just does things completely differently- because they can! :roll:
That's nothing - the 79 CB400T forks I grafted onto my 450 don't even have drain bolts !!!!!
Really makes changing fork oil convenient (NOT !!!).
I have to remove the forks from the bike entirely, then take off the top bolts and inner retainer bolts, and then turn them upside down.

WTF ???!!!

So, count your blessings.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my '66 CL 160 forks, are they the same as the 175's?. Looks like I have to take off the chrome seal housing-does it unscrew? Is it PB blaster by the case time?

·
Registered
59 Posts
66Sprint said:
Here's the exploded diagram.... As you can see, it was NOT necessary to remove the damper (or phillips bolt)... Re-install using "Hondabond" or similar sealant under the bolt head.....

The damping rod wasn't sold as a separate part, it came installed in the slider.... I use a length of plastic pipe (PVC schedule 40) to drive in the seals.... Steve
which manual is that diagram from?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Frankmc13 said:
I'm getting ready to do my '66 CL 160 forks, are they the same as the 175's?. Looks like I have to take off the chrome seal housing-does it unscrew? Is it PB blaster by the case time?
No, the early ones are different, Strap wrench and PB Blaster time if the seal housing threads on,.... Last year 160 may just have chrome "trim" piece like the 175's... (That removes like a bayonet lightbulb... "twist slightly and pull".....Sits in a "L" shaped groove..)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Niedz.... It's from the factory parts manual for the "Sloper" 175's....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.