Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently got my CL175 running. Before riding it I had checked the valve clearances to be 0.002" all around. I then set the cam chain tensioner, and I did hear a small click so I know I got some adjustment out of it.

It had some valve noise at first that I figured was ok. Since then I have put about 100 miles on the bike. It seems that the valve noise has gotten louder.

For example, I will ride to work (about 3 miles) after letting the bike warm up about 2 minutes and keeping it below 4k rpm for the first half mile. The bike sounds and feels great when I'm riding it. But then when I get to work and take off my helmet and get down by the engine, it seems that the valves are very loud. Like the loudest part of the running bike.

I am planning to set the valve clearance again this weekend but I was wondering if there is anything to take away from this? I was also hoping for a tip on finding the best place to set the cam chain tensioner from (on the rotor). I was trying to find a place at TDC where both exhaust valves would be loose, per some videos I watched. But I wasn't really able to find that spot.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Two valves(intake and exhaust) will always be tight at TDC, whichever side is firing. Adjust the chain at TDC, loosen the bolt and turn the crank backwards about a quarter turn(that will help loosen the plunger), then ease it forward to TDC where you can snug down the bolt. That bolt is grooved for an o-ring, which makes it pretty easy to twist off, easy does it on the torque.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My first thought is make sure the tappet locking nuts are tight. I forgot to tighten and one came loose. Horrible noise. Ended up finding it in bottom of crankcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tightened the tappet locking nuts. The sound is unpleasant, it's the normal, smooth, metal on metal sound of valves. It's just LOUD.

I should also mention that I got my ears cleaned at a doctor last week and my hearing has vastly improved... ;)

Thanks for the tip on the cam chain tensioner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts