Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Twinners, got a question here for you guys running on a bike without a kill switch. Forgive me if I'm missing something here: I wanted to check the color of the plugs in conditions other than at idle. I have read to go for a ride and kill the motor at whatever throttle setting you want to check, coast to a stop with the clutch pulled in, and then pull the plugs. But I have no right hand kill switch so my only option would be to turn the key off in the ignition correct? Kind of hard to do that with the right hand and the left hand is operating the clutch so....

I'm guessing the only option is to install a temporary kill switch for the right hand? Who's bright idea was it at Honda to put the ignition switch on the left side under the fuel tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm not sure at the time that Honda considered it a "bright idea" almost 50 years ago, particularly prior to the mandated kill switches being common on all bikes. Ever notice the bright ideas of ignition switch location on other older bikes? Many of them were behind the rider in the side cover, making you reach under your thigh to accomplish it while riding. That said, I agree that you might rig a temporary kill switch to accomplish what you're trying to do. All it would take is a simple toggle inline with the black and white wire that powers the coil.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
You wire up a relay, set up to ground the points, (terminal 30 to ground, 87 to the points wire) unplug the horn and connect the wires to the trigger terminals( 85 & 86). Set up like that, pushing the horn button will shut off the engine, hold the button down until it stops. You should be able to hook it up without removing the headlight or the gas tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts