Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all-

I have a 1966 CL160 that I am in the process of rebuilding. I would like to get the frame sandblasted, but first need to remove the swingarm. That is where I ran into an issue. The nut end (#1 in photo) is turning, but the threaded end (#2 in photo) is turning with it. I have tried using an impact gun on the nut, as well as hammering on the end of the threaded side.

The exploded view on Bike Bandit didn't reveal much. I am not sure how to get this off. Any ideas??

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It is probably corroded and "rust wedged" all across the interior of the arm itself...... I would 'wick' some MSR into the joint and let it soak for awhile (several days)..... Then hammer the inside of the buddy peg bracket (left-wards in your pic) to drive it out..... Striking the threaded end will mushroom it and prevent removal.. Phone me for more info if needed.... Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
It is probably corroded and "rust wedged" all across the interior of the arm itself...... I would 'wick' some MSR into the joint and let it soak for awhile (several days)..... Then hammer the inside of the buddy peg bracket (left-wards in your pic) to drive it out..... Striking the threaded end will mushroom it and prevent removal.. Phone me for more info if needed.... Steve
thanks for the help. What is MSR? I have tried PB Blaster, WD40, and gasoline so far. good suggestion about hitting the inside of that peg bracket, I will try that.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Milk Stone Remover (get it at "Tractor Supply" or the like) It's weak phosphoric acid solution... It does a great job 'eating" rust, but just cleans (Lightly etches) good steel....I buy it in 5 gal. buckets, and use it for general cleaning, but it comes in smaller containers......
You have to eliminate the rust, not just lube it......Those pivot bolts get really stuck...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm not sure that both "ends" of the pivot bolt even come off, do they??
On most Hondas, it's a real bolt with a head and a nut (it's just bigger than most).......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tbpmusic said:
I'm not sure that both "ends" of the pivot bolt even come off, do they??
On most Hondas, it's a real bolt with a head and a nut (it's just bigger than most).......
Yes, exactly. It is behaving like a long bolt, except that I can't seem to force it back through the way it was put on. I think the idea about trying the MSR is a good one. I have some stuff called Ospho which is a rust converting acid for paint prep, and might try that. I appreciate the ideas, I will get to work on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts