Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the switch with an aftermarket switch. The current switch has 8 wires. There is a Blue, White, Brown, Yellow, White/Yellow, Black/White, and 2 black wires. Here is what I know... The Blue wire is the high beam and the White wire is the low beam to the headlight. The Brown is the power to tail light and to the speedometer light, the Black/White and one of the Blacks is for the kill switch. the remaining black is a power supply I assume for the headlights. My question is what does the Yellow wire and the Yellow/White wire do?? I know they come from the ac generator in the motor and that is about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's for boosting the charging output to the maximum when the headlight is on, since back then it wasn't universally required that the headlight be on during the daytime. Since you'll likely be running with the headlight on all the time now for safety, just connect the opposite two ends from the main harness in the headlight case and bypass the switch when you use an aftermarket switch that likely won't include the same wires. Did you try to find an OEM switch? Is this the CL125 twin from the '60s or the single cylinder from the '70s?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 73 and is the single cylinder. I was thinking that I just connect the yellow and the yellow/white. In addition I am going to get rid of the kill switch and just use the ignition so I am going to connect the black/white and one of the black wires as well. I am going to keep the headlight on at all times as well so it makes sense to connect them.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Honestly, I'd advise keeping the kill switch, you never know when you'd need it - but you could do it with a separate switch while eliminating the other switch needs as you've described. If you connected the yellow and yellow/white at the main harness in the headlight case, that would put it in full-time "headlight on" charging mode - but will you run low or high beam all the time? If not, you'll need some kind of high/low switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The aftermarket controls I have does have a high/low switch so I will be using that but have the headlights on full time. I will look into maybe getting an additional switch for the kill switch as the controls I have does not have a kill switch. It does have a starter switch but I do not have a starter so I may modify that switch into a kill switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts