Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I couldn't find anything on this.
Yep, I'd like to someway, somehow put the CL high pipes on my SL 175.
Just wondered if this was possible without major modification.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The SL K0 was just on a slightly modified CB/CL frame...The later ones had a different frame.....So without knowing what you have, we can't really answer that question.....
PLEASE fill out your profile as requested, including bike model (and K) in your signature line...............

·
Registered
589 Posts
Chances are the CL pipes will fit the K0 without much (if any) work at the front end. Externally, the engines are the same between the CB, CL and SL, and the frame engine cradles are essentially the same at the front end - they're single downtubes that split at the bottom. If the pipes went round the single downtube on the CL, they'll almost certainly do the same on the SL.

Having said that, you might come unstuck with the rear end fixings and the effects of the heat on the sidecovers. If the 350's are anything like the 450's, the CB/CL frames have a fixing hole about four inches down from the seat on the left side for the rear end CL exhausts to bolt onto. The SL frame doesn't have any equivalent mount hole, but I guess you could fab something up in its place. Also, if the CB/CL350 covers are anything like the 450's, they'll be metal - the SL covers are plastic. Not good if they're going to be up close and personal with high level exhausts.

The K1 is likely to be more problematic at the front end, because of the change in frame design. As you'll know, the K1's/K2's have got two thinner downtubes that form the front of the engine cradle. The bends on the exhausts at the engine ends may be sufficiently widely spaced to go round the downtubes, but realistically, the only way to find out whether the CL pipes will fit is to give them a go - or (obviously) find someone who's tried it before. Unfortunately, the latter of these options seems less likely - I've researched allsorts on the SL's 'cos of their scarcity over my side of the world and not found anyone who's tried the CL pipes on a K1/K2.

There is another option - try something different. Check out item #270627037677 on eBay UK - it's a recently finished auction, so you will need to sign in to see it (US ID should work). If you can't find it by the number, search Honda SL350, check the Completed Items box and then sort by Price - Highest to Lowest. I tried copying the images, but they came out crap . . .

HTH.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the-chauffeur said:
Chances are the CL pipes will fit the K0 without much (if any) work at the front end. Externally, the engines are the same between the CB, CL and SL, and the frame engine cradles are essentially the same at the front end - they're single downtubes that split at the bottom. If the pipes went round the single downtube on the CL, they'll almost certainly do the same on the SL.

Having said that, you might come unstuck with the rear end fixings and the effects of the heat on the sidecovers. If the 350's are anything like the 450's, the CB/CL frames have a fixing hole about four inches down from the seat on the left side for the rear end CL exhausts to bolt onto. The SL frame doesn't have any equivalent mount hole, but I guess you could fab something up in its place. Also, if the CB/CL350 covers are anything like the 450's, they'll be metal - the SL covers are plastic. Not good if they're going to be up close and personal with high level exhausts.

The K1 is likely to be more problematic at the front end, because of the change in frame design. As you'll know, the K1's/K2's have got two thinner downtubes that form the front of the engine cradle. The bends on the exhausts at the engine ends may be sufficiently widely spaced to go round the downtubes, but realistically, the only way to find out whether the CL pipes will fit is to give them a go - or (obviously) find someone who's tried it before. Unfortunately, the latter of these options seems less likely - I've researched allsorts on the SL's 'cos of their scarcity over my side of the world and not found anyone who's tried the CL pipes on a K1/K2.

There is another option - try something different. Check out item #270627037677 on eBay UK - it's a recently finished auction, so you will need to sign in to see it (US ID should work). If you can't find it by the number, search Honda SL350, check the Completed Items box and then sort by Price - Highest to Lowest. I tried copying the images, but they came out crap . . .

HTH.
Thanks for the info.
I've been looking into making a side cover out of aluminum so I melting won't be a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts