Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for CL/CB175 owners (mine's a 1971) who have disassembled their forks and are experienced in the internal parts. The Honda parts fiche annoyingly doesn't show the damper rods on the fork page- are they hidden somewhere else? I ask because I don't know if there's supposed to be a sealing washer for the phillips screw on the very bottom that attach the rods to the legs. Seems that there should be- to seal and keep the fork oil from leaking out the bottom. I used HondaBond 4 on the threads just in case for now, but would like a definitive answer. Steve?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: CL/CB175 fork assembly- who's been there?

It's possible that there are copper sealing washers stuck to the inside/bottom of the fork legs, and that I didn't see them when I removed and reinstalled the phillips retaining screws. This is really frustrating as I have the forks assembled and ready to install on the bike, but don't want to fill them with oil and proceed if I'm missing any sealing washers. It's easier to wait for an answer rather than have to take them off again later, if they leak.

Worst of all is not even seeing the phillips screws or damper rods on the parts fiche for my model- I did look up a few similar bikes on parts fiches looking for answers. Closest I found was a CL200, but the forks were slightly different- they did show copper sealing washers on the damper rod retaining bolts. Perhaps the HondaBond 4 is good enough- I did see evidence of some kind of old yellowish sealer in the threads of the bottom of the damper rods. :?:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Could a moderator please move my topic to "Mechanical Issues"?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts

The sealing washers would be external (axle side) and an extra one won't hurt.....I don't believe there was one though...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I think you're referring to the external oil drain plug copper washers on the outside of the leg bottoms. I'm talking about the internal phillips screws that go in from the very bottom of the legs and retain the damping rods.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
So am I.... A sealing washer won't hurt, but as I said, I don't believe there was one originally.... Your Hondabonding should be sufficient.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good, I just needed to be certain that we're talking about the same parts. Interesting- this is the first time I've come across a damper rod retaining fastener that didn't have any type of sealing washer- which is why I questioned it, stopped and asked for advice when it didn't show in the parts fiche or my shop manual. HondaBond4 to seal, it is then. Thank you for the help! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a k6 and there are copper washers mine were stuck there, can someone also help me regarding getting those damn chrome tubes off the top of the fork boot, they about 120mm long and they sleeve over the bottom of the fork boot leaving me no access to the fork seals as I need to replace them?

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
The CMSNL fiche certainly shows 8mm copper washers on those bolts.

I reused them on my '73 CL175, with thread lock, rather than sealant (which I probably ought to have used) on the screw threads. Hasn't leaked yet, but bike is only being pushed around at the moment.

Washer,spl.,8mm Cl175 Scrambler 175 K7 1973 Usa 90544283000

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I have a k6 and there are copper washers mine were stuck there, can someone also help me regarding getting those damn chrome tubes off the top of the fork boot, they about 120mm long and they sleeve over the bottom of the fork boot leaving me no access to the fork seals as I need to replace them?
I levered mine off using a thin flatbladed screwdriver. Difficult to get them started, but once the grip of 42 years of corrosion was broken they came off readily enough.

forkseal_zps40dfeea3.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts