Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to check in with you all and see if anyone else is running a similar setup. I have a CA77-E motor dropped in a CL77 frame. It came to me this way, not running, no wheels dragged out of a barn. Go figure. I got it all cleaned up, for the most part. It's a perfect platform for a vintage class trials / track. The bike was really stripped clean with no electrical. In fact it was all cut to little frayed nubs. I wired in one of those cheap reg/recs, the kind you get from radioshack for $5, a condenser for the points, fuse and a Sparkz capacitor. Oh and a new coil. I have a Sparck Reg/rec I'll a plug in next week. I swapped out the carb for a cheap $10 one from a swap meet. It fired right up on the second kick!

Has anyone done this or something similar? Any pointers? I'm just futzing around. I need a rear sprocket and brake shoes before I can go for a test ride.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Sounds like you are making progress. I don't know much about the the 300/305 series, but I've always believed you can make a Honda run without a battery but it won't run well. This is from my experience going back to a 1960 C100. How about some pics? We like pictures.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh boy loading photos on this forum is not user friendly. Sorry for any crooked necks.
Does anyone know what brake shoes go into this thang? There is no size stamp.

IMG_6233.jpg IMG_6673.JPG

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I like the tank paint. Very retro. The backing plate should come out of the wheel hub. It might be stuck. Be gentle, you don't want to crack the castings. When you get it out it should be self evident. Post pictures if you have questions.

Are you posting pictures from your phone? I use windows Paint to rotate and size my photos.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If you're posting pics from a computer, unless you want to use the more complicated "Advanced" method you can only upload one picture at a time - but it's not difficult, just more time-consuming. Many of the pictures that show up here sideways or upside down are that way due to the orientation when the picture was taken (mostly with phone cameras) and as Jim said above, can be rotated using Paint or any simple photo manipulation program. Pictures uploaded here work best in .jpg format... .png looks nice and is larger in total size, but won't enlarge nearly as well when uploaded here. Here's a link to explain the picture orientation

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/25-website-issues/120382-pictures-post-upside-down.html#post1008568

Gas tank paint is pretty cool too.

I have questions about the custom painted F-100 door sitting next to the CL77... :D

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Looks like the early (up to serial number 1014495 ) brakeplate (although yours is damaged) and takes two part number 45120-273-000 brake shoes.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the photo upload tips. I'll def work on tuning my images for you all. The photos are from my phone but when I look at them on the computer they are still the right way. :confused: I'll try using flickr. Thanks for the tank compliments. I paint on metal hence the ford door panel. The door panel is for sale if anyone is looking for some garage decoration. ;)

https://flic.kr/p/2ggfwpG https://flic.kr/p/2ggfwrW
aeaf5429865379.560826e6abd56.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have a beat on affordable Brake shoes for this early type CL? Maybe there is an aftermarket model that fits up? Ebay is coming up with 4 results at $65 the lowest!? I called Ohio Cycles to see if he had some but it looks like he is retired with his inventory slowly seeding to ebay. I think I might just run a rear wheel and a different front wheel.

Any tips are much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts