Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty clean well running CL450 50 series. I would like a disk brake and better suspension, (less pogo stick) any thoughts on a similar vintage cb500 four doaner bike? I have a line on one cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Steve is the expert on this stuff.......

I think, though that you would have to use the donor forks/fender/wheel, the whole shot.
Steve will know if the stem and top clamps are a bolt-up.
And shocks?? Almost anything would work better than the stockers.

Seems a shame to mess up the CL front end though - lots of people would covet that bike, as-is.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Either of the 500/4 or 550/4 forks, wheels, and braking systems (as an assembly) will bolt right into the 450 (pinch bolt top tree type) triple trees..... IMHO, they are not much of an improvement, as most of the parts are identical with the CB450 models of the era... (tube length, and damping hole placements are a bit different, but the sliders are identical to the CB450 units).....

A good set of silicon-steel springs (originals are music wire) and some "tuning" with oil weight and volumes in your original forks is preferable.

I'm sure Bill would vouch for the CB/CM 400 series forks as a suitable and better replacement, but you'll need 350G, 360, or CM 400 trees, brakes, wheels as well.
If I HAD to stick to 35mm Honda forks, I'd suggest the 78/79 CB750 F forks or SOHC 650/4 forks in the 450 trees unless I was going Cafe'...... Then I'd use 550/4 trees..... The 750 forks are slightly more than an inch longer, so they would have to project above the top tree UNLESS you balance that mod with longer (750 length) rear shocks......the 650 forks are just a bit shorter (1/2" or so) than the 750 ones

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input fellas, any thoughts on where to get better fork springs and what oil type / weight to run? I weigh about a buck sixty with gear, and ride a little "spirited"..
Swing arm and steering head feels tight, I fixed the charging, carbs, and ignition already, and compression is 170 left, 163 right not great, but passable for now.
My big beef with the suspension is that it feels really under damped, I don't think I'm bottoming out, but with all the shadiness going on, who knows :D My hobby budget is pretty loose. up to say 500 for suspension parts.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
for springs try:
S&W Performance Engineering
2617 W. Woodland Dr.
Anaheim, CA 92801
or:
Number One Products
4931 N. Encinita Ave.
Temple City, CA 91780

These are OLD addresses, I havent used them in years..... You may want to try phoning them using Directory Assistance.........
On a CL, I'd run 15 wt fork oil......about 5.5 to 6 oz per fork Maybe 6.5 if I wanted really stiff/slow damping

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a set of IKON 7614's, now for the fork... I'll let you all know how the shocks work when I get them in and on, I'm hoping it will handle better, (hopefully at least $400 better) I also have a full new drive line coming in, the front sprocket was worn out, flipped over by a PO and worn out again, the rear was in somewhat better shape, but it's being replaced as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new shocks are in, but they came with an offset fork at the bottom! argh! double checked Icons catalog, they are the right ones, double checked bike bandit, centered fork. I'm a little miffed. did put on the new sprockets and chain, rear required minor fitting, I ordered a 36tooth, receipt and stamp on sprocket reflect the same, damn thing has 38 teeth! otherwise the pitch and general fit is fine.. go figure, guess counting is not a requirement to work in a machine shop any more.

any thoughts on the shocks? a cb750 item?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I am not aware of any Hondas that use offset clevis shocks.... But it could be correct on a 450 SOHC variant (Nighthawk or Rebel?)....Did you order specifically for the DOHC model years?....... As for the sprocket, I'd have sent it back.....two teeth may not seem like much, But....it's about a 5% rev increase to achieve the same speed

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have to disagree on that one. My 450 was 100% original and I'll lay money on that. It's OEM shocks did not have the offset bottom clevis. I believe the bottom bolts even had the factory paint on them from being double checked/verified tight at the factory.. I could be wrong there though.

Plus, if you let my OEM Honda shocks or my Koni alloys hang from the top mount they line up perfectly with the swingarm mounts, and are completely vertical.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
WOW!...Wherever did you find the Konis?.... You'll notice that the oil reservoirs are larger in diameter and might require the offset for clearance purposes......(LOVE the wheels....NICE job!)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Seems odd indeed.. I just checked my original Honda shock and my Koni alloy body, and neither hang with an outward slant and are vertical while using a level. Plus my top shock mounts are both the same size..? Odd. Let's keep in mind that I'm speaking of a K7 frame though.. I already see differences in yours and mine..

Also, your photo of that plumbob doesn't actually prove anything unless the rest of the frame was completely level front to back and side to side..

Plus your original shocks look to be different than mine. Mine are Showa branded, like any other OEM Honda shock of the era.. Yours are constructed different than mine all together..

I'm not trying to start anything here Rod. Just a friendly debate on these oddities/differences in frames, etc.. :D So please don't take anything I've said as harsh even if it may sound that way. Wasn't meant like that.. :D

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Stock 450 (US models) shocks never had an offset - I recall that my early 70's era Konis did not have an offset either.
I think maybe some of the SOHC 750's may have used an offset shock, but I really can't remember which models.
I know the '82 750C (DOHC) shocks I have on my 450 now have no offset either.

But they are Konis, so I say if they work, run with it............

And don't judge things by how they "hang" without being tightened down first - it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the input, I spoke with Ikon, they tell me the offset is for clearance issues and the catalog lists the shock for all cb450's 66-76 the 500 twin and four, the cb/cl350 and 360, the 400 and the 350 four. I was able to throw in a couple of washers to shift the tops out, as for the sprocket, I had also gone back to the original front 16t, so the ratio was about the same, 2.375 compared to 2.33 the bike had when I got it (15-35). if it really bothers me I'll jump up a tooth in the front, the front sprocket is much easier to change than the rear.

I'll post some pics of the new shocks, I think I like them, tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so I'm going to see about dialing them in.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts