Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO - I've been riding my recently finished CL450K5 for about 4 months now, and I love it !! There is, however, one small but particularly irritating issue which I'd really like to solve.
Pulling away from standstill the clutch is completely smooth until it's about 75% released. The last 25% of movement, however, feels like you've just let go of the clutch lever and the final release happens with a sharp jerk ! I'm planning to strip the clutch out in the next few months, but has anyone had a similar problem and can give me an idea of what I should be looking for ?? Many thanks - Paul

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Ive noticed that if the timing isn't set close you'll have to give er more gas, and it can be hard to take off smooth. I suppose if the carbs aren't synced or set right it'd have a similar effect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lefty, thanks for your reply - but the timing / carbs are 'sock on' - this is definitely a mechanical issue associated with the clutch mechanism ( I'm guessing sticking plates in the basket / weak springs or other similar ? ) Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Are you certain the cable isn't binding? Cable routing can make for binding issues.

Barring that, have you tried adjusting the free play in the throw-out helix (at the sprocket cover) with the cable disconnected? Setting the helix first puts the lever in a more CW position, making for a more even control with the clutch handle throughout movement of the handle. If the helix lever is held higher in its arc by the cable when the handle is released, it rotates faster when the handle is nearer the grip than when you first begin moving it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rick, it's taken a couple of days to get back due to poor weather here in UK !!
I disconnected the clutch cable at the handlebar lever and turned the slotted adjuster on the drive sprocket cover until I could just feel the resistance of the clutch springs. I then locked this up and used the adjusters at both ends of the cable to set the correct free play. Result - MUCH BETTER!!! (and thanks again for your suggestion) The clutch release was now smooth until about 90% out, with only the final 10% releasing with a jerk. The situation now is much easier to live with, but still not quite perfect. It's clear that I'm now barking up the right tree, but still feel that a complete strip down is required - I'll post findings when fully sorted. Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
So, only 4 months on a 450 - have you ridden with a cable-operated clutch before? The difference between the clutch slipping a bit and not is very small at the end of the control movement; perhaps you just need practice being smooth on that last few percent? Maybe let the bike get moving a bit faster before full release? I don't mean any disrespect, but not knowing your history brings up these questions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been having a similar issue with my CB 450 K5.

When the bike is cold the clutch works normally, but when it gets hotter, the clutch gets almost impossible to work. It sticks.
I have even let go of the clutch, stopped at the lights in first gear, and it didn't engage at all. The lever didn't even move.

I've checked everything and got to the conclusion that the clutch basket is very scored by the clutch discs and plates.
I ground and sanded the indents and its completely smooth now.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
That kind of wear does happen, and will cause unusual clutch operation. I've never had it, though, so can't guess why some do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rick, thanks again for your comments - I've always been into the older, more classic bikes - so have a lifetime of experience with cable clutches; in fact I've just racked my brain to remember if I've ever owned a bike with a hydraulic clutch. I can only think of (2) - a GPZ900R which I still have, and (possibly - can't remember! ) a Honda SP1 which I only had briefly because it was so bloody uncomfortable !!
I'm convinced the problem is associated with the clutch components, possibly notched plate tangs or basket slots - Winter's coming so I'll strip it down and post the result.
Regards, Paul

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
OK, so it IS likely hardware.

The 450 clutch can be touchy at the end of travel, but one can usually adapt fairly quickly. My brother recently rode my 450, after not riding for some 10-15 year, and had a problem with the clutch jerking him forward at the last, but he got over it with practice. That's basically why I asked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts