Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a CL450 K1. Question before I unscrew the top cap. Is it as simple as removing the top fork cap to refill without any fear of internal parts falling down the fork tube etc.

Also I see conflicting reports of using 10w30 and ATF. Any benefits of one over the other?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yep, pretty much that easy.
The book calls for 285-295 ml for K1 forks.
I personally prefer 10 or 15 weight fork oil, but everyone has their opinion about this, and I'm sure they'll all weigh in.
I hate ATF on general principles, and I also think 20/50 is way too heavy for an already savagely clunky fork.
But that's just my opinion.........

·
Registered
608 Posts
block up the front of the bike before you pull those caps! it also easier to remove the drain screws and pump the old oil out before you pull them, hold the front brake and work the forks up and down (warning the oil will squirt some distance) then block the wheel up and pull the caps

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
He said it's a K1 - they have a bolt-through-triple clamp design.
And external springs as well, so the springs won't try to jump out like they do on the later models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it done. The fluid that came out was very watery and very brown. Not sure which decade it was installed. Put 10-30 synthetic in and it feels great so far. Completely different then when it was running the old stuff.

Thanks for all the help.
Bob

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
bobelliot said:
Got it done. The fluid that came out was very watery and very brown. Not sure which decade it was installed. Put 10-30 synthetic in and it feels great so far. Completely different then when it was running the old stuff.

Thanks for all the help.
Bob

I think they used fish oil or something originally :shock: :? :cry: - after 35 years or so it can smell pretty horrible when it comes out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Yep, pretty much that easy.
The book calls for 285-295 ml for K1 forks.
I personally prefer 10 or 15 weight fork oil, but everyone has their opinion about this, and I'm sure they'll all weigh in.
I hate ATF on general principles, and I also think 20/50 is way too heavy for an already savagely clunky fork.
But that's just my opinion.........
the Clymer which i really dont use says another amount for the K5, But the fact that it says something different concerns me. Can anyone verify the correct amount of oil in forks for the K5?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts