Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pickup up a barn find 1973ish CL350, right now I'm getting nothing from the electrical system.

Good battery. When I pulled the battery resistance was 3.14 ohms from positive to negative battery cables, didn't matter what position the key was in, or the on/off switch.

Right now my goal is to attempt to start the bike, preferably via the starter motor.

Any easy way to "hotwire" it to a possible start for now? Bypass ignition switch and as much as possible?

Failing that any ideas what to start testing? Good links to info on how to track down basic electrical stuff on this bike?

Right now even a hint to the location of the fusebox would be a big help:lol:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Manual, you can download it. Electrical diagram print it out, you can download it. There is only one fuse and u will see it in front of the battery follow the power going to front. Take the meter and follow the power from the battery to the next point to the next point etc

It sounds like you may be a little excited to start it. If this is a barn find it may take some work to get there but its all part of the fun

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, very excited to start it! Already unstuck and rebuilt carbs, checked valve clearance, etc.

I'm pretty good at that stuff, but the electrical gives me fits!

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think that will help.

When it comes to electrical I like clear directions, something along the lines of
1. Remove 9v battery from package
2. Invert battery
3. Place on tongue
4. If you feel a jolt, the battery is good
5. If not, try same with other battery.

Pictures help also.

I'm hoping for some magic jumper wire, and an instant vroom. Once I know it'll go 10 feet on it's own power, then I'll really tear it down for restoration or modification...well maybe over the winter.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Thanks, I think that will help.

When it comes to electrical I like clear directions, something along the lines of
1. Remove 9v battery from package
2. Invert battery
3. Place on tongue
4. If you feel a jolt, the battery is good
5. If not, try same with other battery.

Pictures help also.

I'm hoping for some magic jumper wire, and an instant vroom. Once I know it'll go 10 feet on it's own power, then I'll really tear it down for restoration or modification...well maybe over the winter.
Vintage bikes aren't usually 5 step easy... they're old and have a lot of accumulated problems (and potentially pathetic repairs for those problems over the years as well), so unless all the stars align for you, welcome to the world of chasing down vintage bike issues. Pretty sure the 350 has only one fuse and it's under the seat near the battery

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-scrambler-k2-general-export_model16561/harness-wire_32100317670/#.Wymhm2eWy00

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tom, helpful diagram.

I totally understand there will be challenges.

I owned a 78 CB400 about 20 years ago. Although if I recall that just needed occasional maintenance. I spent way more time riding on it than wrenching on it. But it was near mint when I got it.

This is some long overdue nostalgia for me.

FSM's are great for some stuff, but I always find the electrical section to not be user friendly. I've got a Clymer manual on the way which I'm hoping might be more my speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was in exactly the sane position. Confirmation a new purchase has a running engine before a project tear down.

So I’m more confident with the electrics than anything else as long as it’s a Honda and I take my tine.

I use the below site, so hope you find a it good.

OldmanHonda.com

As for checking it runs before a tear down.

Check Air
Check Spark
Check compression
Chech 12v to coils
If not, add fused 12v direct to coils
Kick over

If it turns over you’ve got a running machine.

Good luck if it doesn’t. Could be the points, spark, fuel, compression, air. Work through each slowly!

Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I pickup up a barn find 1973ish CL350, right now I'm getting nothing from the electrical system.

Good battery. When I pulled the battery resistance was 3.14 ohms from positive to negative battery cables, didn't matter what position the key was in, or the on/off switch.

Right now my goal is to attempt to start the bike, preferably via the starter motor.

Any easy way to "hotwire" it to a possible start for now? Bypass ignition switch and as much as possible?

Failing that any ideas what to start testing? Good links to info on how to track down basic electrical stuff on this bike?

Right now even a hint to the location of the fusebox would be a big help
If the battery is good, just connect a wire from the battery's positive terminal to the coils and kick start it. Don't leave it plugged in like that for long though.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I will attach a wiring diagram for the CB 350's.

M recommendation is to save it to USB and take it to an Office Supply Store and have them print it on a large format printer.

Something along the lines of 24x30.
PS: Right Click and Save-As &/or Open In New Tab/Window.

Also these bikes need a FULL Good & Charged Battery ay thing less you are wasting your time.

Do NO leave the Ignition Powered "ON" for any extended time period. The Coils WILL Overheat and Self-Destruct from Heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, shop day is this Saturday, I'll give some of that a shot and let you know. It looks like someone might have bypassed the fuse and just twisted the wires together, other bit are wrapped in duct tape. Looks like I'll likely need to rewire the whole bike. Most I've gotten so far is a jumper from ground to the engine, red to a turn signal, it lit up...felt like I invented sliced bread lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts